Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Program esp32 from teensy

Program esp32 from teensy

Hi PJRC community,

I have an esp32-cam module and I have been using an arduino board to program it as described in this very simple tutorial https://technoreview85.com/how-to-pr...ino-uno-board/
    Now I would like to start projects with my teensy 4.0 and the esp32, and I don't want to have the arduino in the middle just to program the esp32.
    Is there a simple way to use the teensy just like the arduino to do that ?

Hi Julien,

i can't answer your question. But the module has wifi. May be OTA programming makes sense?

Yes. I believe that tutorial will work with Teensy in place of the Arduino Uno, but only if you have programmed your Teensy with the USBtoSerial sketch (or similar code).

In Arduino, first select Teensy from the Tools > Boards menu. Arduino's other menus update based on the selected board. Then click File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Serial > USBtoSerial. Upload that program to your Teensy. Once Teensy is running that code, I'm pretty sure you can use Teensy the same way as Arduino Uno is shown in that tutorial.

Arduino Uno has a dedicated USB to serial chip, so you don't need to upload any specific code to Uno in that tutorial. The other chip on Uno already has the needed code permanently programmed. On Teensy, there is no dedicated USB to serial chip, which is why you need to load this program onto your Teensy to make that tutorial work.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Yes. I believe that tutorial will work with Teensy in place of the Arduino Uno, but only if you have programmed your Teensy with the USBtoSerial sketch (or similar code).

In Arduino, first select Teensy from the Tools > Boards menu. Arduino's other menus update based on the selected board. Then click File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Serial > USBtoSerial. Upload that program to your Teensy. Once Teensy is running that code, I'm pretty sure you can use Teensy the same way as Arduino Uno is shown in that tutorial.

Arduino Uno has a dedicated USB to serial chip, so you don't need to upload any specific code to Uno in that tutorial. The other chip on Uno already has the needed code permanently programmed. On Teensy, there is no dedicated USB to serial chip, which is why you need to load this program onto your Teensy to make that tutorial work.
    Thanks Paul. Very informative answer.

Indeed back in the days of ESP8266 T_3.2's were used to program them. Including toggling the control pins they needed.

Assuming the passthrough for programming is similar the indicated sketch or even customized should work well.