SD Card Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I’m wanting to add an SD card slot into a PCB that I’m designing and I’m a little bit confused about what is required. Just for clarification, if I’m already operating on 3.3V I don’t need a level shifter right? I’ve also seen some people use EMI filter chips like these:

https://www.onsemi.com/products/iso...MImcfw5PHK7AIVAwiICR0LKg_BEAAYASAAEgJ07vD_BwE

Are they necessary? Or can I just hook up the SPI connections directly to my microcontroller? Thanks!

With everything on 3.3V, I've just wired from the SD to the microcontroller. Make sure you have enough current capacity for the SD - they can be a bit power hungry.

Are they necessary?

It depends on the environment. If you are putting SD cards into the socket only at a nice safe ESD protected workbench, then no. If you are going to let any idiot do it anywhere, then yes, you need the ESD protection.

That makes sense. I’m putting it on a data logger for a model rocket but I think it should be fine to get wired straight up at least for prototyping!

That’s sweet! I’ll have to give it a read! I’ve built a couple through hole prototypes of mine but I’m interested in learning PCB design so I’m going to give that a shot for my next revision!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back