Teensy 4.1 32 pinout led driver board

bamos

I currently have working code that sends pixel data to 32 pins. I know the octoWS2811 board will interface with the T4.1, but it only gives me 8 outputs. I'm thinking of designing a board that mimics the octo board but will have 32 outputs instead of 8. If someone else already has one, I'd rather just purchase that board and save myself the time designing and prototyping a board. Otherwise, I can design one and share the gerbers here once it's done. Is anyone interested on working on it with me? I've got hobbyist experience, but no professional experience designing boards.

That is an interesting project. A different approach than I've taken to achieve similar results. I think that could be extended to drive significantly more led strings than just the 32. Basically, what I'm wanting to do is extend the OctoWS2811 board to give 32 outputs using a T4.1.

I have a 32 output board, similar to the OctoWS2811 started. This is the first board of this size I've designed. I'd love some input from those of you with more hardware design experience. The board was designed with kicad, and lives at https://github.com/brianamos1/DuotrigesimalWS2811. I designed it as a 2 layer, with power regulation, and ethernet connection onboard. I did design it with as many smt components for JLCPCB to put on for me as I could. Not that I don't like soldering, but I can get them put on cheaper and easier by them, rather than using a larger board and having to solder everything by hand. My intention is to use standoffs for the T4.1 so that it is removable. I did design the screw holes at 1 inch so that they are mountable in the same type of box as the octo board.

Just one note to schematic, I'd use HCT instead of HC. With HC you have exactly the same issue as driving WS2812 directly (eg. for 5V CMOS is logic HIGH defined over 3.5V, it usually works, but it's susceptible to noise or maybe temperature changes or so...)

About logic voltage levels

Just one note to schematic, I'd use HCT instead of HC. With HC you have exactly the same issue as driving WS2812 directly (eg. for 5V CMOS is logic HIGH defined over 3.5V, it usually works, but it's susceptible to noise or maybe temperature changes or so...)

About logic voltage levels

Thanks! That’s an easy update, since they both come in the same form factor. I appreciate you taking time to look at it.

Back