adding a USB Host connector to teensy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

benwadub

hi all, i m a beginner in electronic and I d like to add a USB Host capability to the midi interface of my controller, Paul told me on Facebook that I have to add a tpd3s014 to my schematic but don t know how to wire it, can someone help me with it please?
here is what I done is it good? do the 1 and 3 pin of the tpd3s014 goes to 3.3V or to 5V? sorry for the beginner question I have everything to learn! Capture d’écran 2020-10-26 à 21.37.12.png

here is a picture of my controller that I m pretty glad to have built!122779519_1771621136345251_4264733390432303272_n.jpg

Take a look at the Teensy 4.1 schematic here: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/schematic.html for a reference.

It may be easier for you to replace the Teensy 4.0 in your system with a Teensy 4.1, which already has the USB host circuitry. You'd just need to add a cable with host connector.

Alternatively, there are a couple of Teensy 4.0 breakout boards that have USB host connectors on them that you could use.

You have 2 options.

1: Connect EN to 3.3V, so the USB port gets power whenever 3.3V power is on.

2: Connect EN to a digital I/O pin, so you can turn the USB power on/off under software control. If you do this, don't forget to use pinMode and digitalWrite in your program to turn on the USB power before you call USBHost begin().

Either is perfectly fine. Teensy 4.1 uses approach #2 and the library automatically drives that digital pin high.

Here is a list of Teensy 4.0 break-out boards (Loglow/Talldog, Blackketter, and Trainer4EDU had boards with USB host IIRC):

But frankly as Blackketter says, it is probably better to restart with a Teensy 4.1 instead, as it would likely take several weeks to get the PCBs made, and there is a bunch of soldering to do to connect the Teensy to the PCB.

You could just solder 2 wires to the pads under the Teensy 4.0 and use ground and VIN pads, and make your own connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back