Getting started Teensy 4.1 and audio shield rev B

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisKasprzak

I'm trying to get something working with a Teensy 4.1 and a rev b audio shield. I initially tried connecting per the following (taken from the pjrc site but no rev b so I used Rev D).

Teensy 4.1 Audio shield
7 7
8 8
18 18
19 19
20 20
21 21
23 23

No audio using any example sketch. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

TIA

The Teensy audio shield revision A, B, and C use a completely different pinout than the Teensy audio shield revision D.

The Teensy audio shields revision A, B, and C were meant for the Teensy 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, and 3.6 processors. Revision D is meant for the Teensy 4.0 and 4.1 processors. The I2S pins (used by the audio shield) are located on different pins in the Teensy 4.0/4.1 than with the Teensy 3.x processors.

This is an old post that I wrote before the Teensy audio adapter revision D came out that explains the differences in pinouts:

As I say in the article, if you have a revision B board, you will also need to wire a 100 ohm resistor in series for the MCLK signal (pin 11 on the audio adapter, pin 23 on the Teensy 4.0/4.1).

Last edited:
Yup, Michael Meissner is correct. To get rev B working, you need to connect as if it were rev C and also use a 100 ohm resistor in series with MCLK. Rev B can work, but wiring it up that way takes extra work.

While the documentation is clear, I think that "Model" would be a better word that "Rev".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back