Solar Powered LED string lights (for garden feature) with timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossredman

Appreciate the easier thing to do would be to just go buy some off the shelf suitable lights.
But TBH we're back in a COVID lockdown & i need something to fill the time with AND also I'm sick of buying these things only to be disappointed with battery life.

So....
i have (well the wife has to be more accurate) a set of string LED lights (300) powered from a remote (2m lead) solar panel to illuminate a garden feature.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083HYB4ZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Whilst these are indeed the best so far of a really bad bunch (ie they last longer) - I'm finding that because these come on the minute it gets dark, the battery tends to run out of charge before we move into the room where this display feature can be viewed.

So I'm thinking I could use one of my spare Teeensy's to create a scheduler to stop the lights coming on until later & also switch off earlier.
If I get that working, I was then thinking of maybe getting a 2nd solar panel & battery etc.
Then use the Teensy to switch between the 2 batteries to try & get a full night's illumination (ie 6pm to 10:30 pm).

1] Does the scheduler idea sound feasible/possible on a Teensy?
2] Any Solar panel experts out there able to help spec suitable solar panel/battery hardware pls?

I'm using Oak Leaf solar rope lights. Not enough light to illuminate the pool but just enough light to set the mood. Lights run full strength all night long and turn themselves off at dawn. They turn themselves on at dusk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back