Is this a Genuine Teensy 4.1 Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

japreja

Hello, I am concerned that an amazon seller may, or may not, be selling knockoffs. First of all, everything seems to work and I followed all instructions without any issues. The reason for my concern is that when I put the Teensy 4.1 the seller had the name of "3D Maker World", an distributor listed on the PJRC website, however, after receiving the board I see that that same seller on Amazon changed its name to "Sports Internet Solutions LLC", also listed as a distributor. It seems fishy that the name would change in 24 hours. Just wanted to double check! Here are some images of the board I received. If there is some test software that can obtain and verify a serial number, if PJRC keeps track, I would like a copy if possible to check this board.

2 photos in each position top and bottom total of 8. I had to put them on postimg since this is my first post.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Mz5XzrK

Sorry about the photos being a little blurry, I could never take good photos, even with a 40mp camera.

It's almost impossible to get a sharp close-up photo having long depth of field without a tripod or magic arm or some other way to keep the camera still, especially with only ordinary indoor lighting.

Yeah, a pro photographer can do it, but they'll end up using a tripod and bright lighting.

I would like to see photos of the anti static bag and the printed card is well. If they are knockoffs they might not be bothered with these details.

@Japreja - To compare here is a phone flash photo on my desk of two T_4.1's.
20201118_140112_4mp.jpg

Photo software changed on Windows it seems - lost easy rotate - but it has a down sample resize so 4 Mpix is 741KB and small enough to upload versus the 5.2 MB original that was only 8 Mpix on that lens.

I got one of the $10 'Selfie Light' - not for selfies, but it flips around with hole over phone lenses, for good light across the item - problem is the full ring of LED's tends to find some place to shine/reflect.
20201118_150342_4MP.jpg
Has a diffuser lens over LEDs - but still many direct light points.

I would like to see photos of the anti static bag and the printed card is well.

Here it is

t41genuine.jpg

For photos at my workbench, I have 2 desk lamps with 60W bulbs that I position within about 1 foot of the item. I use a Nikon D5100 camera. Even then, I rarely manage to get a perfectly sharp image.

I should probably mention the first batch of Teensy 4.1 shipped with a somewhat lower quality printed card on thinner cards stock without the glossy finish and where the SD socket had a slightly red tint. There wasn't time for the higher quality offset press printing on that first batch. Since about July all the cards look like the one in this photo.

Here it is

That's what I have.

I get a bit suspicious of things I buy on amazon nowadays. I have no doubt that it is real... Next time I will be ordering direct, the only reason I went to amazon is that I was ordering from them anyways. I also paid $4 more for it. Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088D3FWR7/ says it is sold by "Sports Internet Solutions" but in the order page it says it is sold by "3DMakeWorld Inc". It's just odd to me that the product page says one thing, the the order page after purchasing says something different.

Thank god this was a false alarm. The last thing I need is to deal with is customers not getting their stuff working because of counterfeit teensys.

I'm a little confused by this, I'm not sure if you know this but on Amazon a product page isn't limited to one distributor, if you'll note on that product page there are 9 listings from different distributors, 3 of which are posted by the 2 distributors mentioned here. If you don't specify a distributor by deliberately going into the list and clicking on one of the add to cart buttons there it'll usually just pick the cheapest option. In this case there are 4 listings that all have the same cheapest price, of those 4 listings 3 are on Prime and they say shipping is calculated at checkout since it needs an address to do so. So once you get to checkout and enter your address since you didn't specify which distributor it's automatically going to switch to using which ever one is the cheapest for them to ship to you so it doesn't eat in to their profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back