Cannot get Teensy_loader for MacOS 10.10 - teensy.dmg "no mountable file system"

Status
Not open for further replies.

reneker

Cannot get Teensy_loader for MacOS 10.10 - teensy.dmg "no mountable file system"

I've been tr.ying to get the teensy_loader program installed on my old iMac, that is running MacOS 10.10.5.

After downloading the teensy.dmg file from https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_mac.html, attempts to mount the disk image fail, with the message "no mountable file system".

I investigated this error message; the most useful information I found was at:
https://deciphertools.com/blog/2017-10-02-no-mountable-file-systems/, scroll down to item 4. Evidently Apple has come up with a new .dmg format that is incompatible with MacOS 10.12 and earlier. I've attempted to open the .dmg from the command line (terminal window), with no success.

I had a friend with a recent version of MacOS; he was able to open the .dmg with no problems, and run the loader without difficulty. I had him put the contents of the .dmg on Dropbox. When I fetched the files from Dropbox, there was no runnable .app file, as the files were viewed on my old iMac.

My old iMac is no longer upgradeable; I don't have the xcode or tools for building the command line version of the teensy loader.

Bottom line: I'm stuck. Has anyone else seen this problem, or found a workaround? Failing that, can the teensy loader be provided in an older format, compatible with MacOS 10.10?

Thanks for your attention!
Doug R.

OK - I figured it out, and my LED is blinking fast!

I'm using a Teensy 3.6.

1. Get a supported version of the Arduino IDE from the Arduino website, and install it in the Applications folder. I got version 1.8.13.

2. Run the Arduino.app one time, to get past the checking that MacOS does for new apps.

3. Quit Arduino.app (Command-Q)

4. Download the "Macintosh OS-X Installer (10.7 - 10.14)". DO NOTbother with the Teensyduino app!

5. Open the downloaded TeensyduinoInstall.dmg. A window with the installer should appear.

6. Run the installer, and go through all the steps. Note: at one point, it lists the files in your Applications folder. Simply select Arduino.app. The installer checks the version, and updates this file.

7. When the installer completes, run Arduino.app again. At this point, it "knows about" the various Teensy types, and can support them. I connected my Teensy 3.6, and pressed the button to run HalfKay.

8. When you enter a sketch, and verify it, the Teensy loader automatically opens. The sketch is downloaded via the loader window, not the Arduino.app window. I was able to download the "blink_fast" sketch successfully

If someone is in a similar situation, running on an old Mac, this may help!

Thanks,
Doug R.

Wow, I did not know Apple changed the DMG filesystem!

I'm still building the Teensyduino installer on a 2011 Macbook Pro running 10.7.5 (Lion). The rest is built on a "trashcan" Mac Pro running 10.14.6 (Mojave), which seems to be the oldest system that can build programs compatible with Catalina and Big Sur.

Apple sure doesn't make it easy to support their older systems. If anything were to happen to that old 2011 Macbook Pro, it would probably be the absolute end of Teensy support on very old Mac systems.

Thanks for your attention! Given my lack of success in searching for a solution to my problem, I'm guessing that not very many folks are still on old Macintosh systems. Mine is a 2007 model, and I stopped updating with 10.10.5, afraid of losing some purchased software! I agree, Apple is pretty prickly about "encouraging" users to upgrade hardware.

I'm just glad to be up and running!

Thanks again,
Doug R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back