She worked for 5 shows. Then she didn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
New user, I first posted this in technical support... Full disclosure, I am a novice at electrical engineering. I was given this system of circuits to operate an interactive art piece that I created. My goal was to learn how to program my own projects alone. Needless to say, that didn't happen. My project was in crunch-time and I was focused on finishing the aesthetics of the art inside the display case. A friend finished all the code and built the boards and gave me the finished product. I was super grateful at the time but now I am pretty frustrated because I am struggling to figure out what they did. When functioning, the user approaches the piece, presses the button, the music stops playing as the doors open, a story plays, stars twinkle, lightning flashes, doors close, music begins to play, again. The slow fade lights in the base of the pedestal and the twinkling stars are always lit. She worked for 5 different exhibits. When I was installing her for another show, I touched something during set up and electrocuted myself. It also fried the teensy. I installed a new teensy and another friend borrowed it to check things. Then COVID hit and he isn't able to sit with me and check things out. The boards appeared to be fully functional when at his place. They were not connected to any of the lights, speakers, or actuators. I plugged the piece in last night and was able to get the lights to function but was unable to get any sign of life from the audio or linear actuators.

It's super weird to describe accurately, so here is a video of her when fully functioning:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-MeOgl-eQdaDrYQtc7iELwU1RDkjpRhO

Today, I reinstalled Arduino 1.0.6.
I disconnected the teensy from the audio shield. It looks like my teensy is good, but my code is not. I don't know how to write, nor check code.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13inQHIr3xufnaR7wryEb-JmoFRaxX81e/view?usp=sharing

here is the most recent code:
View attachment 22591

When the teensy is connected to the audio shield, it heats up to the point that it kind of burned my fingers. I imagine that is another issue to deal with.
Pictures of the current monstrosity that is the "brain" of the piece known as Soarsa (pronounced Seer-Sha):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14FcybOL5SCvTQF1V6RCgUTS-B4aqd6is/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14FpxoHbMgUHl4e0UIZEqHovt73Wa3Ofx/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14JjaJeUSy18L6Iexh2JnkftjMxdRfOHu/view?usp=sharing

Steps I have taken since I posted and received feedback:
I am cleaning up the wiring with an electrician friend.
I installed the Arduino IDE app for Windows 10.
I am installing the appropriate libraries. I may be missing some or using the wrong ones?

When I try to verify the code I receive the following error:
View attachment 22609

I am researching if it is possible to power the teensy 3.2, audio shield, and UNO off the L298N motor driver?
------The original build had the teensy powered by a cigarette lighter charger... I would like to make this look more professional than that. (Reminder, I did not build this, it was a gift).
I have access to new teensy boards if this one is bad. Is it worth it to move to a teensy 4.0. I read it has built-in surge protection and is only marginally more expensive.

I am bringing the piece to a local maker space tomorrow night to have the local geniuses help me get it finished, but I would like to try to get as much done by myself. I want to understand how this thing works.

Thank you, in advance, if you have advice on how to proceed.

No problem :) I had similar issues with my first Teensy.
I hope they local maker space can help you .

I uninstalled the Windows app because it isn't compatible with teensyduino.
I was able to update the board in Arduino after install.
Now the program is saying the file size it too large?

I'm afraid a burning hot chip usually means something has gone terribly wrong.

Now the program is saying the file size it too large?

Please understand we can't see your screen over the internet, unless you take a screenshot and put that image into your message. Save the image to a file, and then use this button to put the image right into your message.

sc.png

See, I did it just now - screen capture, quick drawing an arrow, save to file, then put the image into this message. You can too! :)

We really do try to help on this forum, and sometimes we even manage to figure out problems by blind guessing, but it's so much easier and better when we can actually see the problem.

Burned Teensy: Yes, I told that yesterday in the other thread. Hermione Ranger seems to have some spare Teensys.
I hope the external circuit is OK now.
Edit: the photos are the still the same.

Update

Hermione Ranger seems to have some spare Teensy.
I hope the external circuit is OK now.
Edit: the photos are still the same.

I have ordered a spare Teensy and an audio shield to return the audio and motor functions. I removed the actuators and therefore removed the power supply and teensy data wires from the L298N. I removed the wiring for the button. I had a smaller 12-volt power supply and attempted to attach that instead of the Dell brick power supply. Originally, the wires connected to the Uno and the cigarette lighter adapter were mounted directly above the wires to the power supply. When I plugged in the power supply, the lighter adapter started smoking... I moved the wiring for the uno and cigarette lighter to the output side and reattached everything. Now the Uno won't fire up and there is no light on the cigarette lighter.

We tested the Teensy on Wednesday night. It was reading properly. We were able to get the motors and lights running but not sound. The teensy would get very hot as soon as it was mounted to the audio shield. We decided the audio shield is bad. I am ordering 4.0 teensy and compatible audio shields to install at a later time. I am also going to order new actuators that are quieter. I am sharing all this to explain why I pulled those components out. My immediate goal is to have the lights functioning. There are purple lights twinkling in the painting, the cloud and lights directly behind the sculpture should flash like lightning, and the lights in the base of the pedestal transition through blues and greens to look like water flowing.

This piece is supposed to be installed in a gallery tomorrow. I am not sure what happened to the power to make the lighter smoke. There are 12v going into the converter and 5 coming out, according to my multimeter. I no longer have a light on my Uno, and the lights in the project are no longer working.

So Today's questions:
1. Is my wiring path correct?
2. What is a more professional way to pull power off the converter and deliver it to the Teensy?
3. Did I destroy my Uno? (I think I did)

Photos labeled in google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16NG34OjqlccYxoZkX96FqVyvnoV52DY_/view?usp=sharing
I changed permissions so that anyone with the link can view them. Please let me know if you cannot see it.

I really appreciate the feedback so far. I have been working with EL wire for over a decade and thought I was pretty skilled at working with electronics for art. This project has shown me that I have a LOT to learn.

Last edited:
Just let me ask again, if you're sure that it is correct that there are black wires on "+" and red wires on "-" on the converter..?
I can see only one photo.

Best would be, to take a sheet of paper and to draw a schematic. How it *should* be. Without looking at the actual wiring.
Then, after that, check if your wiring follows your shematic.
May post the picture here, so that we can take a look.
For Teensy 4, you need a Audio-Shield "Rev D". This is important.

When you get the new Teensy and shield, first solder the pin-headers, and load the "guitar" example from arduino.
Connect a headphone to test if you can hear the guitar.

Best would be, to take a sheet of paper and to draw a schematic. How it *should* be. Without looking at the actual wiring.
Then, after that, check if your wiring follows your shematic.
May post the picture here, so that we can take a look.
For Teensy 4, you need a Audio-Shield "Rev D". This is important.

Thank you. I have started mapping it out.

I will definitely be testing the boards out before using them in the future.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15ystBe-9ZuGI_MiEoo2IEnj_L44pM5sj/view?usp=sharing This is the current wiring. Disregard the loose teensy/breadboard.

Thank you for letting me know there was only one photo visible. I am changing each of them to public. There should be 7 labeled photos.

I honestly don't know what originally happened when the first person wired it. I know he had a lot of shorts and had to replace parts a lot until he figured out how to make it work. Now, I am trying to make sure it is working RIGHT and not just thrown together like the first time. I moved the wires for the cigarette lighter so that yellow is power and black is ground. Does this look better?

One more important thing: The Teensy 4 does not tolerate 5 volts at the connections, even for a short time.
Maybe you should use a Teensy 3.2 (->and the older "Rev B" audioshield!) , if you are not sure.

I can't say anything re: your wiring.. it's not visible for me which wire goes where and what it is for..
Maybe the other users here?? Anyone reading this?

Yeh, I can't tell either from the photo. From what you're describing it sounds like you mixed vcc and gnd, but as Frank said, best to draw out how it should be (or even how it is written in the code).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back