Recording while playback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
so I'm trying to build a looper with a function of overdubbing tracks, which means I have to record while the sound is playing. I had no luck with using SD card for that, and looks like the SD library does not support reading and writing simultaneously.
But is that true for SerialFlash library too?
Is there any other way I could achieve simultaneous recording and playback?

Thank you!

It probably doesn't matter, but I've been trying this with Teensy 3.6 and Audio Adaptor.
This thread gives the most definite answer about SD card capability, and this was tested by me as well. But so far I couldn't find anything regarding simultaneous reading-writing to Flash.

I've been working on the same thing today (looper with overdub using serial flash) and got it working. I'll post some code or tutorial later, but basically what I did:
- I have three erasable files
- One file is recording
- Another one is playing
- A third one gets erased

Each loop I'm just cycling through the files and changing which one is getting recorded/played/erased.

I had to do it like this since the erasing is quite slow. Probably also doable with two files, but it depends on how large files do you want to have. Meaning how long of a loop you are able to record.

I'm getting a lot of noise at the moment though and it really adds up with the overdubbing, but I think it's just my mic. I'll try with another mic or the line input to see if that makes things better.

Thanks, mnstri!
That gives me hope, and I'd really love to see how it goes and take a look at your code eventually.
I'll try setting up my own thing meanwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back