FreqMeasure - minimum Pulse width

PhilB

I am measuring the max rate that a stepper motor is driven at. Because steppers require acceleration and deceleration for best performance, the train of pulses does not have a fixed period. It was getting tedious to find the shortest period using a logic analyzer. Thought to write a program to do this with a teensy 4.0. Kind of a specialized need and I was resigned to having to figure out 1062 timers but to my joy found FreqMeasure and realized it could do what I want with a very simple change. shoulders of giants and all that...

In order to measure the highest rate (ie, shortest period), I modified FreqMeasure to record the minimum pulse length and added a new method readMin() to the class. It works fine for me. I am looking at how I can change it to help analyze pulse jitter. Not quite as simple, though.

Literally, it required 7 lines of code in total. I don't think it changes any performance as it only adds this to the FTM_ISR in FreqMeasure.cpp
Code:
    if(period < min_capture) min_capture = period;

I didn't change the other ISR but it makes sense for non-ARM users, I suppose.

Other changes:
Code:
  uint32_t FreqMeasureClass::readMin(void) {
  return min_capture;
}

plus declaration of min_capture;
Code:
static uint32_t min_capture;

In begin():
Code:
  min_capture = 0xFFFFFFFF;

and in FreqMeasure.h:
Code:
  static uint32_t readMin(void);

If there is any interest to merge into the github repository, I will be happy to do a pull request (though may need some help with that - I find github pulls confusing).

Back