Wireless between Teensy 3.2+Neopixels and remote based on Launchpad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaturnV

Right now I have a Teensy 3.2 driving a Neopixel strip and responding to options via IR remote. I want to add more LEDs now but on the other side of my daughter's bedroom. Naturally, it would be great to have all sync to the same option selected. I'd like to ditch the IR and go with non-line of sight wireless such as an NRF24l01. To do this, I want to build a remote with a Trellis RGB keypad, OLED and encoder and 18650 battery. Thing is, I'd want the remote to sleep and conserve power when idle and extend time between charging. I was thinking of the MSP430 Launchpad for the remote as it known for it's lower power consumption.

This is the concept I'm after:

https://learn.adafruit.com/neotrell...MIyt-XvvWq7QIVA-TICh2KqQ3PEAAYASAAEgIYdPD_BwE

..and I could go with the feather products but I already have the Teensy in the current project, it works well and I'd like to stay on with it.

Appreciate the advice on this idea.

In case you don't know about it, Adafruit does have a Teensy to feather adapter that lets you mount various feather wings. I tend to use it even if I'm not wanting to use featherwings, because the li-po battery charger works well.

There are various ways you can mount it. For the Teensy LC, 3.2 and 4.0, I tend to mount it, with the Teensy inside, next to the PCB. If you have the pins already soldered on to the Teensy, you could use normal female header pins to mount the Teensy, and then use the stacking headers that come with the feather adapter to mount feather wings below and above the Teensy. If you are going to do this, Adafruit has a microprocessor (ItsyBitsy) that has the same form factor as the Teensy LC, 3.2, and 4.0, and you can use the normal or short female headers Adafruit sells:

Adafruit doesn't sell the normal height stacking header for the ItsyBitsy. You could just use longer female headers and cut them down (I find it is a chore to use a rotary tool to cut down the 5 pin header so it can be mounted cleanly between the two 14-pin headers).

I put together this page in the unofficial wiki regarding using the feather adapter and feather wings on the various Teensies:

I'm not stuck on using the Teensy for the remote transmitter - I might not have been clear. It's the (receiver) Teensy that is connected to a strip already- that I wanted to keep in the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back