[MIDI Project] Pairing down number of pots and buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

normanras

Hi,

I've been lurking here long enough and this forum has been invaluable in helping me complete a couple of simple midi device projects. I've ventured into a new project and I think my noob-ness is going to show. Finally created an account and can try and contribute!

I am looking to control an Audio Instrument that, if I created buttons and pots for all of them, it would require 325 inputs. I've listed all the menus in a spreadsheet and tried to pare down to the "essential" controls and that still gives me 120 buttons. Which got me thinking, if I could create a menu function, or a directory/subdirectory function, I could limit the device to ~40 or so buttons.

For more clarity, the program is a sequencer called Stochas. The midi mapping options basically work as 8 possible actions, with anywhere from 3 to 28 value changes to those actions, across 5 targets. I've attached a screenshot that hopefully helps explain it more clearly.

What I am hoping to do, have buttons and knobs for one set of the actions + values (83 buttons) and then be able to have the ability to have a menu control option. Since the 83 buttons are the same across the 5 targets (4 layers + all layers), if I can figure out how to choose the layer, that would simplify the actual physical controller.

Of course, if a single menu/directory option is possible, then essentially I could do the same for the value change actions that have 20+ options. But I also don't want to recreate a digital interface - I might as well just use the computer. But let's start with the top level - do I have the ability to have the teensy choose a directory and then the inputs correspond to a separate target in stochas?

Apologies if I am using incorrect technical terms for certain items. If it is of any help I have been mostly using the Control Surface Library for my other projects - I find it quite comprehensive and was helpful in learning a lot of this.

Links:

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.42.57 AM.jpg

do I have the ability to have the teensy choose a directory and then the inputs correspond to a separate target in stochas?

Maybe I'm way off, but are you asking if you can use the same encoders/pots/switches for controlling different parameters? As in, pick a set of controls, and then the HUI adjusts the parameters of that control set. Chose a different control set and the same HUI adjusts different parameters. Something like that? Because if that is what you're asking, then yes, you can, and it's quite easy.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking. While I'm still on the upward trajectory of the learning curve, I am really darn surprised I can't find the library or code or post that would at least point me in the right direction to learn this! Any pointers? Feeling awfully dumb right about now.

If followed correctly ... Seeing this done could be - if overly simplified:

You have one button that changed an LED between Red, Green and Blue with each push.

The Code would count the button presses and know if it was 1=Red, 2=Blue or 3=Green, when green and pushed again if would go to 1=Red

Then with some number of other button, knobs, lights on the same board their function would change depending on that Primary RGB Button and current state/color.

In this case all the buttons would need to be 'momentary' and all the knobs perhaps encoders. Any toggle or other switches or 'analog' pots would not be able to have a clean state when the following happens.

When the Primary RGB Button is pressed the current 'state' of those devices would be recorded, then the prior set of values for the new 'RGB' color would be used to remember where they were last.

This isn't a normal library kind of thing, but some application specific way to take user input and use the same 'generic inputs (or output lights?)' in multiple unique ways.

There may be more refined ways this has already been done? Though in general to change the meaning of the general I/O is done in the code keeping track of the state for the alternate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back