Notifications for new releases of Teensyduino?

Hi there,
Is there a facility to sign up for notifications / mailing lists etc. for when new release, non-beta versions of Teensyduino are released?
Or is the any automatic update checking capabiltiy within the Teensyduino program?

+ based on previous releases, approximately what's the average time between each new version? (I couldn't find any dates on the release version history).

All the best,
Dan

No, not really. The closest would be subscribing to the Announcements forum. But that will send you notifications of each new beta, as well as the official releases and the infrequent non-software announcements.

Normally my goal is a new software release every 3 to 4 months, plus any time we're forced to update for a new Arduino IDE. This year the pandemic has skewed things a bit. We had releases on Jan 31 and Feb 21, back when the outbreak was only in China. Both of those were to support new Arduino IDEs, with relatively few other changes. Then we had releases on May 16 to support Teensy 4.1 and Jun 30 to support Arduino 1.8.13. Both of those came with a huge number of improvements and updates.

By the intended schedule, we should have released 1.54 around early October. But as you can see in the beta tests and many other threads, a tremendous amount of work is going into filesystems and other stuff. I'm hopeful 1.54 will get wrapped up before the end of this year, bringing a ton of new features & improvements.

@Paul you could perhaps add a closed "New TeensyDuino Release" thread on announcements that was manually updated on each Major release.

Anyone interested could Subscribe to that thread alone. Having it closed would prevent non-Release chatter from pinging it?

No, not really. The closest would be subscribing to the Announcements forum.

I did the Subscribe to 'Announcements forum' and the choices are few - and what I picked just sends a dumb email each day - about that whole forum:

Code:
The following threads have been updated:
Teensyduino 1.54 Beta #5
 << LINK >>
In forum: Announcements
Started by: Paul
Last post: 12-04-2020 02:44 PM

All the best,
PJRC (Teensy) Forum

This daily update says something was posted Yesterday ...

If a Closed thread on Announcements got a new post with each release - subscribing to that thread would just send Release notes - or whatever was in the post - perhaps a link to the Forum Release like : pjrc.com/threads/61623-Teensyduino-1-53-Released

Wasn't sure I could start that thread on Announcements - but I could so I did : pjrc.com/threads/64978-TeensyDuino-New-Release-Thread-Subscribe-for-notice-of-future-releases

@Paul / @Robin : It is CLOSED and STICKY - feel free to edit or remove if it won't work as desired.

Subscribed :)

COOL! - Won't know if it works until TD 1.54 releases

In those release notes - if it seems good - Paul can perhaps link to that thread so as people find TD 1.54 - they'll be on the list for TD 1.55.

Also if an approved idea it could go on the 1.54 BETA release pages as they develop toward release so those catching this Beta will get the Release update - and be ready for the next.

Thanks, that's brilliant @Defragster... subscribed. :)

All the best,
Dan

Nice :)

About 12 hours ago there were 30 visitors to the thread including myself - it is now at 41.

So without objection, it seems this is 'a Thing'.

When any new Release of TeensyDuino is posted a link will have to be added in a post by Admin - and a notice email will be sent to any subscriber of : pjrc.com/threads/64978-TeensyDuino-New-Release-Thread-Subscribe-for-notice-of-future-releases

Back