best place for step-by-step tutorial w.screenshots how to install circuitpython

StefanL38

As I now know how to set up a teensy 4.0 for the use with circuitpython
What is the best place where I could post a step-by-step-manual with screenshots about installing circuitpython on a teensy 4.0?
best regards Stefan

I'd suggest to place it here : https://github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki

Thank you :)

I have written something on GitHUB.
But my opinion is: GITHUB is NOT the best place for beginners.
GitHUB is NON-intuitive
- for writing Wikis
- for knowing what to do

As I posted a code-example with comments which start with # the wiki-page made headlines out of it
and the code-section was NOT recognised as a whole. Only a small part of the code got interpreted as code-section.
GitHUB is way too NERDY for real beginners.

So I'm gonna look for a better suited place and if I have found it I will re-edit the Github-Wiki to just one link to this place

best regards Stefan

Last edited:
I have written something on GitHUB.
But my opinion is: GITHUB is NOT the best place for beginners.
GitHUB is NON-intuitive
- for writing Wikis
- for knowing what to do

As I posted a code-example with comments which start with # the wiki-page made headlines out of it
and the code-section was NOT recognised as a whole. Only a small part of the code got interpreted as code-section.
GitHUB is way too NERDY for real beginners.

best regards Stefan

They don't need to edit the pages. Reading and navigation it is very simple.

Reading and navigation (on GitHUB) it is very simple.

No GitHUB is not! I'm on the internet since 1990. Almost the beginning. I'm a haevy internet-surfer
using userforums for a very very long time. When I started to examine GitHUB I was puzzeled.
GitHUB does not follow common standards. Maybe I'm too old and too long on the internet for GitHUB standards

Yes of course the readers of the wiki don't have to edit the wiki.
But I have to edit the wiki. The times when I enjoyed experimenting for hours to find out how something works are definitely over.

If code-nerds enjoy using extra-characters like ** and # '' etc. to format text - of course do so.

Now this GitHUB-wikieditor uses doublecross # for headlines and single-hyphen for code-sections.

What a BAD idea! python-comments become headlines and fixed text like
print('Hello World!')
become a code-section. and not all lines that belong to a code-section are iterpreted as a code-section
No-No-No-No-No-No-No I don't gonna write my quickstart-guide on GitHUB. This f.... bad non-intuitive wiki-writer annoyies me to the max!

Those GitHub-developers are world-leaders in experts-blindness-for-beginner-difficulties.

I prefer WYSIWYG. Or at least a texteditor like on the Arduino.cc-user-forums.

google will find the keywords everywhere so it really doesn't matter if it is on GitHub or somewhere else

best regards Stefan

Those GitHub-developers are world-leaders in experts-blindness-for-beginner-difficulties.

I prefer WYSIWYG. Or at least a texteditor like on the Arduino.cc-user-forums.

Just curious, how do you feel about the message editing experience on forums like this?

What is the best place where I could post

The indicated github github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki is the only open 'best place'.

It is far from ideal - maybe not even good - especially to edit - but other than the forum it is the only existing outlet.

It has gotten some traction and info collected only because @luni set it up. So if a better place exists - it should at least get linked there. Or write it as a DOC and save as a linked PDF?

Hi Paul,

This forum offers command-words / letters for formatting
bold different color

Code:
code in code-tags

Not the same as WYSIWYG but usable.

@defragster: I'm not sure what you mean by GitHUB is "is the only open best place"

is any forum-hoster "closed" for you?

I was thinking about writing it as a PDF-File.
best regards Stefan

It would be just desirable to have such information concentrated in a few places, where you can browse through a list of topics.
It also has an advantage if it can be updated by other users without too much effort.
Nothing is worse than outdated information that some wrote some time ago and does not get updated anymore.

You asked "where?" and got an answer :) So just ignore it if you don't like it.
Of course you can write anything you want where you want.

Of course I did not delete your wiki page (as I also wrote in a private mail) Instead, I moved it to the corresponding section "Compiling, Languages and upload"

Here the link https://github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki/Circuit-Python

Was wondering about 'deletion' ... @luni64 does a good job organizing the pile of info. I see the Python page!

@defragster: I'm not sure what you mean by GitHUB is "is the only open best place"

is any forum-hoster "closed" for you?

Was in answer to initial question: To date the 'What is the best place where I could post' ( known to me ) other than the Forum.PJRC is that wiki. The place that is publicly known here on the Forum, open and established and full of a decent/growing series of information.

Short of an official PJRC WIKI - Wiki-Coming-Please-link-worthy-posts - this is the only thing that has presented itself and gotten traction.

Regarding to your questions about editing in GitHub (Issues, WIKI etc). This is all done in the more or less standard Markdown syntax. Markdown is really super easy to use and one can type it quickly without much thinking. Here an introduction https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/

To demonstrate how to tag code in Markdown I edited your Hello World accordingly. I.e., it now shows the code with python syntax highlighting.

Of course I did not delete your wiki page (as I also wrote in a private mail) Instead, I moved it to the corresponding section "Compiling, Languages and upload"

Here the link https://github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki/Circuit-Python

So this is what I call world-leader in Expert's-Blindness-to-beginner-difficulties
No idea where you send a private mail to. There is nothing in thunderbird. Nor is there anything in my GitHub-notifications

You just posted a direct link but not how to get there from "more above"
The link presented on top of the page says only TeensyUser/doc

So just again a lot of experts knowledge is needed to access this page!

If somebody clicks on the main-link "Wiki" this pages shows no link to the subpage
https://github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki/Circuit-Python

so how does a user get there???
dammed nerdy and not aware of it !!!!! GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

All agree github and the wiki there is far from ideal - it is a painful new thing to learn.

BUT - RIGHT side PANE:

section "Compiling, Languages and upload" (quote p#12)

wikipython.jpg

If you don't like it don't use it and set up a better one. This is a free world.
Have fun.

If you don't like it don't use it and set up a better one. This is a free world.
Have fun.

You've done good work @luni

It is nice knowing it is there, and with your efforts to create, manage and maintain it is as good and easy as it can be and ~infinitely better than nothing.

have a look at https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Hauptseite

main-page of articels explains how to use it with direct links
that's what I call intuitive. Short look left/right up/down and you got the overview

Yes real WIKI's are awesome. The thread pjrc.com/threads/28866-Wiki-Coming-Please-link-worthy-posts was "Started by defragster, 06-10-2015"

There was hope that PJRC would have gotten one up and running by now - but then we got the: Teensy LC, Prop Shield, T_3.5, 3.6, 4.0, 4.1, Updated Audio Shields and covid instead. And we'll likely have a Dual Core NXP 1170 before we have a WIKI or maybe even a move to a newer FORUM from PJRC ... priorities and limited time ...

have a look at https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Hauptseite

main-page of articels explains how to use it with direct links
that's what I call intuitive. Short look left/right up/down and you got the overview

Sure, I know the page and the forum. If you like it why not posting your article there? Alternatively, you might contact Nat Friedman from GitHub. He is very responsive on Twitter https://twitter.com/natfriedman. Maybe he can do something for you.

There was hope that PJRC would have gotten one up and running by now

We talked of this years ago. Ultimately I decided not to host a wiki. Maybe I didn't explain clearly. So please, remember this message as my final decision, an official PJRC wiki definitely will not happen. This was years ago and I believe it was explained on the forum thread about adding a wiki, but maybe not?

Spam was the major consideration, pretty much the deciding factor. There also will not be any other website features (also occasionally discussed) which could potentially increase the attack surface for spammers. We're already at our anti-spam effort limit.

This forum probably would not even be able to continue without your help on the spam problem. I really do appreciate all the effort you put into helping with the spam cleanup. It really does help me to be able to work more on the software, like finally added RGBW support in OctoWS2811 last night, and (hopefully) getting OctoWS2811 movie2serial working with Teensy 4 this afternoon, and if I'm really on a roll, maybe even fixing some lingering seremu partial packet flush bugs. I'm also hoping to look at Mike's FRAM work and bring it into LittleFS (had originally planned to write it from scratch).

Last week I did put a couple solid days into documentation. You might notice the schematics all have reference designators, and parts placement images were added. I added the dimension drawings, schematics and placement diagrams to the end of all the Teensy (non pins) product pages, with new photos of the boards having a ruler showing inches and cm/mm scale, where all those images are scaled to match the dimension diagrams. It's amazing how much time all that takes. In my dream world I would have enough time to fully document everything on the website, and also implement every feature everyone wants, and fix all bugs immediately. Wouldn't that be awesome?!

But life isn't perfect, and neither are wiki websites. I believe Wikipedia spent many years on their WYSIWYG editor. Spam and maintenance (like moving contributed pages into their proper places) are an ongoing reality of all wiki sites. Github is indeed geared towards expert programmers, but at least from all external appearances they have done some spectacular work on keeping spam under control. I'm envious of that.

We talked of this years ago. Ultimately I decided not to host a wiki. Maybe I didn't explain clearly. So please, remember this message as my final decision, an official PJRC wiki definitely will not happen. This was years ago and I believe it was explained on the forum thread about adding a wiki, but maybe not?

No WIKI.pjrc ... Understood - not sure if it was posted and not seen or not remembered before ... or maybe not posted as such.

SPAM is a real distraction - glad to help anything that lets you do real work - Wow even my post count is over half of yours now - hopefully usefully providing info/answers/questions about whatever comes up.

Github is amazing indeed that it has well controlled entry and doesn't get attacked in any way I've seen evident with spammers showing themselves.

The noteworthy products were listed "Teensy LC, Prop Shield, T_3.5, 3.6, 4.0, 4.1, Updated Audio Shields" - I skipped T_3.2 rework I see all since 2015 - and background task of picking the next thing(s) to add that lead to things like those ...

I did not look at the web recently for cool new pics, diagrams and info to answer questions ... probably worth starting a thread on that ... given time :)

<edit>: quick glance at T_4.0 and T_4.1 "Technical Information" looks like a very descriptive addition - very tedious amount of detailed work no doubt.

Back