Teensy 3.5 as USB to TTL converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm using a teensy 3.5 to build an advanced midi controller using the nextion display. For this display a usb to ttl converter is needed to upload code to it, cause it has it's own microcontroller build in. That's handy on one side, and a pain in the ass at the other, cause to upload code in the developing time I've got to always rewire the display from connected to the teensy to connected to the converter.
I've seen some videos out there that if you push the reset pin of an arduino to low it will work as a usb to ttl converter, so I assume this also applies to the teensy 3.5, right? And if so, there comes the main question of this thread: do all serial ports remain being serial ports or only serial 1? Cause if it's only serial 1 I've got to resolder the connections.
Hope there is someone out there that can answer this!

I've seen some videos out there that if you push the reset pin of an arduino to low it will work as a usb to ttl converter, so I assume this also applies to the teensy 3.5, right?

No. That's only true for boards like Arduino Uno, Mega, Nano which have a dedicated USB-serial chip between the USB port and pins 0 & 1.

But if you want Teensy to act as a USB serial converter, you can get that by programming your Teensy with the right code. In Arduino, click File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Serial > USBtoSerial. Check Tools > USB Type, to make sure it's set to Serial (which is the default setting). Then upload that USBtoSerial code to your Teensy. It will act as a USB to serial converter.

Cause if it's only serial 1 I've got to resolder the connections.

If you want USBtoSerial to use Serial2 or any other serial port on Teensy, it's pretty easy to edit that USBtoSerial program and upload it again.

I've used this on a board with Teensy and ESP8286-chip to program the ESP, "NodeMCU-like", as USB Serial allows to read RTS and DTR, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back