Is anyone aware of neopixels (SK6812 or similar RGB Leds) PC GUI to edit/control?

Rickote

Hi Everybody!

I am trying to do some Christmas display with some neopixels SK6812 compatible LEDs. Already works sending control commands on the data line, that is limited to whatever funny sequence algorithms I can think, or even play raster graphics, but not an easy way to create these graphics or animations I can think.

So far, I know this could be achieved with a K-1000C controller with the LEDEdit software that is very nice to compose video /animation frames to play on the LEDs via an SD card. No idea if there are other inexpensive alternatives.

What I would love is to use a Teensy controlled via serial or SD card to drive the pixels, what would be small, inexpensive, and flexible, but I would need a GUI PC software to compose the frames and create the files, similar to the LEDEdit but open source or protocol to talk to the Teensy. Anybody aware or some project already there?

Another possibility is if somebody has been working a way to interpret the *.led binary files created by the LEDEdit software.

Thank you,
RH

Well the octows2811 LED library mentions the movie2serial program:

I've not used it, but I recalled it was mentioned.

If you haven't bought your gear yet (it may be too late, but...), another possibility might be to got with the RGB matrixes rather than WS2812B/SK6812 led strings. Sparkfun just announced the new SmartLED shield for Teensy 4.0/4.1 that was previously in beta over at crowdsupply.com. I've exchanged emails with the creator about delivery of my order from crowdsupply.com (which should get here Wednesday), and he said Mouser has it now (they are handling shipping of the crowdsupply orders), and Adafruit should start shipping soon.

Both Sparkfun and Adafruit have the older boards for the Teensy 3.x processors.

I suspect though, if you don't already have your gear now, you might not get it up in time for the holidays. But you can always start thinking about next year (and with the longer lead time, you can likely order the cheaper panels for foreign sites).

Usually those sorts of programs don't publish the details of that save data formats. Typically they also change the format with new versions.

Can that software export your creation to any sort of well known format?

Back