current + voltage measurement with INA260: common ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlainD

Hi

I'm thinking of using a INA260 Adafruit INA260 for measurement some battery powered devices (teensy, other or even single I²C parts).

I would like to use a teensy connected to a PC and powered by USB.

Is this -easy- possible because I would have a ground from the usb connection and a ground from the battery power?

Can I "just" connect the grounds?

Alain

I haven't used that Adafruit product, but from my understanding of the info I can read, it looks like you're meant to connect the its GND, Teensy's GND, and your battery's negative wire together. So I would say "yes" or "probably yes", looks like you can just connect the grounds. Their info looks like you're meant to connect the battery's positive wire through the shunt resistor on that board.

It is an Adafruit product. So if you still have questions about how to apply it, maybe try asking on Adafruit's forum. They're pretty good about answering questions regarding use of their boards.

Thanks Paul

I did a search on the adafruit forum and found the needed info. (I hadn't seen that forum before).

I was mostly afraid about ground loops, but that's no problem with a USB power and a battery, it could be a problem with tho different USB power supplies with a diferrent ground , but that can be avoided ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back