teensy 4.1 max VIn voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaredReabow

I see the marketing material states 5.5v for max vin, but I notice basically every other older version accepts 6v input.
I need to power the board from another system that has a 6v output, is it safe to run the t4.1 on 6v input?

All T3 boards have additional LDO, so VIN could be higher than the 5.5V USB limit.
T4 and T4.1 use on-chip regulator and I recall Paul and IMXRT1062 manuals saying 5.5V is max Voltage

Edit: wrong info

Last edited:
The T_4.1 ( like the T_3.6 ) has USB_HOST hardware.

The VIN power is used in that configuration to supply power to the USBHost connection.

To some degree that 5.5V limit is perhaps to keep it in SPEC with USB - and the USB power switch onboard - but even 5.5V would be high: from wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#Power
Code:
POWER
USB supplies power at 5 V ± 5% to power USB downstream devices. To allow for voltage drops, the voltage at the hub port is specified in the range 4.40–5.25 V by USB 2.0, and 4.45–5.25 V

This was noted somewhere - perhaps way back in ref to T_3.6 - so would take a search for more info ...
Looking up the USBHost power switch part the specs on that would give details ( or probably show in forum search), if not enabling that device then the LDO used for power switching SPEC may apply ?

Absolute max on the input voltage to the T4's TLV75733P regulator is 6V. So 5.5V max is recommended.

Crosspost - @jonr - yes :: Vin (Max) (V) 5.5 on link below

All T3 boards have additional LDO, so VIN could be higher than the 5.5V USB limit.
T4 and T4.1 use on-chip regulator and I recall Paul and IMXRT1062 manuals saying 5.5V is max Voltage

According to T_4.1 schematic - the LDO on T_4.1 is : tlv75733p

Specs: ti.com/product/TLV757P

So that part was probably optimized for selection to work best with Teensy - and in consideration of USBHost function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back