duplicate I2S out

Status
Not open for further replies.

damo1976

Is it possible to send the same I2S data out to multiple pins whilst still using the same clocks for everything?

Yes, at least to the extent I understand your question.

For example, if you try to connect 2 audio shields to Teensy, the I2S data output and I2S clocks can go to both. So the portion of that connection you asked would be fine.

But there are 2 places where problems would come up with 2 audio shields. The audio shield has an I2S data output which connects to Teensy's I2S input. Connecting the 2 outputs together would cause a conflict. You would need to connect only one of those to Teensy's I2S input.

The other dual audio shields issue isn't with I2S at all, but the I2C port used to control them. Each I2C device needs to have a unique address. The audio shield has pads to cut apart and solder to configure this.

You asked only about the I2S data output and clocks. If you meant Teensy's I2S data output driving the data inputs of 2 DAC chips, then yes, it should work. But your question is so short and lacking any context to understand your needs that I can't even tell if by "I2S data out" you mean the output pin of Teensy, or if you're imagining having multiple I2S chips which transmit data, or maybe even something else. I'm mostly assuming you mean connecting Teensy to transmit data to multiple DAC chips...

So yes, the answer is yes, based on my limited understanding and assumptions about your question.

lol sorry guys..

Here's the specifics.

I have 1 audio shield. I"m currently using it as an ADC.. into pin 8 of the teensy. Out of pin 7 of the teensy is going into another I2S device.. works fine.

Now what i'd like to do is send that same data from pin 7, back into pin (7?) of the audio shield so that I can use the headphone output for another purpose. I was thinking about just linking the pins together but I thought there might be a more elegant way of doing in code so that I can send the same I2S stream coming from pin 8 and duplicate it so that it can come out of another pin that I can wire back into the audio shield... so... any more thoughts? I don't want to duplicate the clocks...just the data out pin of the teensy

The output drive strength of pin 7 is plenty to transmit the same voltage to 2 different chips. Likewise for LRCLK and BCLK - the pins on Teensy are capable of sending the same signal to more than 1 location.

Of course there are some practical limits. If the wires are "long" you can run into signal quality issues. But under about 5 inches is usually fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back