Teensy 4.1 CircuitPython and SD card or FLASH RAM file writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB1990

Maybe I started off down the wrong path, and I'm very new to this, but I want to use Teensy 4.1 with CircuitPython (CP) specifically, to log data as text files, and be able to copy them to a PC for analysis offline.

I believe it's been confirmed CP cannot yet write to the SD using SDIO, the port is not written yet in CP 6.0.

So is it possible to use the on-board FLASH RAM for storage of a text file, FLASH is non-volatile, right? And would I be able to access it via USB to copy the data to my desktop PC?

If so, can anyone please point me to examples, or give me a place to start?

I'd really appreciate help with this. I've done a great many searches over several weeks, and I have not been able to find answers to these questions.

Thanks!
DB

For info on using CurcuitPython with Teensy, try <this> entry in the unofficial Teensy wiki.

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Last edited:
Thanks Mark, I'll dig through here and see. I've got some things working, but not the SD card.
I'm near Houston. Have a friend, KD5WMY, I think. You know him?

Thanks Mark, I'll dig through here and see. I've got some things working, but not the SD card.
I'm near Houston. Have a friend, KD5WMY, I think. You know him?

I looked up the KD5WMY callsign & found that it belongs to Dale S Garcia. I don't know Dale, but with the unpredictability of radio propagation, I may actually catch him on the radio some day !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

I mis-remembered my friend's callsign, because that's not him. My friend's name is Eric S., and he's pretty active in amateur radio. Do the first 3 digits mean it came from Texas, or is it pure coincidence that yours and his are the same?

DB:

I'm glad that you asked & happy to answer with regard to the meaning of the amateur radio callsigns: the amateur radio callsign letters & number do have some meaning. Historically, there used to be very strict rules for how callsigns were assigned, but portions of those rules have been relaxed throughout the years (e.g. previously, you had to request a new callsign when you moved from one region to another . . . now, you keep your callsign, but you do have the option of requesting a change). Currently for the US, the first letter is always A, K, N, or W. There may or may not be a second letter (higher license levels have the privilege of not having a second letter, giving them a shorter callsign, which can be advantageous when sending Morse Code), but if there is one, it is always automatically & sequentially assigned by the FCC for a new licensee. The number indicates which US region the licensee lives in (there are 10 regions, & region 5 contains AR, LA, MS, NM, OK and TX). Following the number, there can be one, two, or three characters. For new licensees, there will always be three characters, & again, these are assigned sequentially by the FCC. So, from this short description we can tell: 1) your friend & I each got our licenses when the KD series of prefixes were being assigned to new licensees in the 5 region, 2) we both lived in the 5 region when we got our license (I assume he lives somewhere in TX), & 3) because my suffix starts with R & his starts with W, I most likely got my license sometime before he did.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back