Ethernet on Teensy 4.1 - Beginner

BlueCoder

I'm new to Teensy. The IDE is a little confusing. I have managed to compile and transfer the basic blink program and others. USB cable is stable and working.

I'm trying to get the native ethernet working.

I have two Teensy 4.1's and two ethernet kits assembled. I have verified the cable to my router and DHCP is working. The IDE and current libraries as of a week ago are installed. I purchased the ethernet kits off Ebay for what it matters.

I have tried both the examples WebClient and LinkStatus unmodified as exist in the examples and neither work with any combination of hardware. The ethernet cable is oriented according to the picture on the PCRJ website. The serial console shows failure with both examples. No lights on the jack connected to the Teensy 4.1 or router show up.

Please help and Thank you in advance.

Personally, I have no experience with Ethernet, but I can imagine that others on this forum would appreciate a picture of your setup. Not sure also if ethernet kits from e-bay are suited for T4.1. Again, more details or pictures would help.

Images indeed - and a link to the ebay thing? In US at least it is $3.60 for a PJRC designed and tested set of parts. But it takes a magjack with specific specs - properly wired - to work with the ethernet chip mounted on the T_4.1 PCB.

Given the odds of low quality or reject parts on some things from ebay - not sure I'd look to save money trusting something so new and cheap to be well done on ebay without knowing the actual components. Digikey can source the actual components for a couple bucks and the small PJRC boards from OSH are only a couple buck as well.

It may be a good piece - but if using the current TeensyDuino and properly connected it should be working. I haven't tested it much since the hardware Beta with a connector board supplied by PJRC. Just got a kit from PJRC - and the OSH boards and digikey parts but not yet built any to test.

Sure enough it happens again. I can rack my brains for weeks but as soon as I post a question I find the solution.

I was using the examples under "Ethernet" rather than "NativeEthernet". Seeing other posts about it when it mentions it being included in the most recent API for Teensy I thought it was folded into "Ethernet".

Under "NativeEthernet" WebClient works but LinkStatus does not.

With Webclient under "NativeEthernet" the connection lights now light up.

I now understand "NativeEthernet" is a separate but compatible library that is distinct and will remain so.

Thanks all and I hope this helps others that follow.

Sure enough it happens again. I can rack my brains for weeks but as soon as I post a question I find the solution.

Glad we could help!!

Seriously though, if you're stuck, snap a few photos and post here with pictures and links so we can see which stuff you're really using and how you have it connected, and show the actual code you're using (or if it's an unmodified example, just clearly say which example).

We're much better at helping when we can see what you're doing. ;)

Hi there,
I am facing an issue with Link status on Teensy 4.1 with NativeEthernet.h and the appropriate ethernet kit.

I use NativeEthernet.h associated with CNMAT OSC library to send and receive OSC messages.
It works well with cable connected before powering up the Teensy but if ethernet cable is not connected, the Teensy hangs, probably failing calling Ethernet.begin.
So I thought I should make code to wait for LinkStatus to be ON before calling Ethernet.begin.
I ran the LinkStatus example in Teensyduino/NativeEthernet example menu item. Unfortunately LED on the magjack is on (fixed) but Link status stays OFF in the serial monitor whatever a cable is connected or not (the cable is directly connected to my Mac
Configuration :
- Teensy 4.1 with ethernet magjack
- MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2015 (OS 10.15.7) with Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter

I didn't understand if @BlueCoder finally had Link status to work properly ?
Any help would be much appreciated :)
Thanks in advance.

There’s now a second option too: QNEthernet. It doesn’t pause when there’s no cable connected. That might fix the issue. See also the attached examples. They’re not simple, but they show other ways of using the library.

Had the same issue with the Teensy 4.1 and the MagJack.

My webserver-sample (NativeEthernet example) is still not working. Compiles without errors.
It says "server is at 192.168.2.88" (my local fix ip), but can't connect to it. (Firefox/Chrome - ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE)
If there is a ping support, it doesn't reply. Same on all other examples ... no response.

Im through with all possilble options. soldering, cabling, network.. But: The activity led is blinking...

Would be great if someone has an idea to solve this.

Had the same issue with the Teensy 4.1 and the MagJack.

My webserver-sample (NativeEthernet example) is still not working. Compiles without errors.
It says "server is at 192.168.2.88" (my local fix ip), but can't connect to it. (Firefox/Chrome - ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE)
If there is a ping support, it doesn't reply. Same on all other examples ... no response.

Im through with all possilble options. soldering, cabling, network.. But: The activity led is blinking...

Would be great if someone has an idea to solve this.
Did you fix this issue? I am running into the same problem

Is the local network really the ".2." after the '192.168' in "192.168.2.88"?
If providing a fixed IP that may not be right and it won't be reachable.

Back