Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy 4.1 Ethernet pins + socket

Teensy 4.1 Ethernet pins + socket

I am making an addon pcb for the teensy 4.1 which will need to passthrough the 48 outer teensy pins along with the 6 ethernet pins. I will use two of the 24x1 Sockets on the pjrc store to pass through the teensy pins but I am still searching for which components I should use (pins + socket) for the ethernet. Has anyone made a board in which the teensy is plugged in to a socket which also has a socket for the ethernet pins to be passed through? If anyone has experience or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Spencez View Post
    I am making an addon pcb for the teensy 4.1 which will need to passthrough the 48 outer teensy pins along with the 6 ethernet pins. I will use two of the 24x1 Sockets on the pjrc store to pass through the teensy pins but I am still searching for which components I should use (pins + socket) for the ethernet. Has anyone made a board in which the teensy is plugged in to a socket which also has a socket for the ethernet pins to be passed through? If anyone has experience or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!
    I tried this recently, not an ideal solution, but it works mechanically. Haven't ran ethernet thru it yet, that's further down the road.

The 2mm female sockets are shorter, so I had to use longer male pins. The ones I found were too long, needed to push the plastic down using a press and snipping the excess after soldering.

I used the following parts to make it work, cutting down the parts and sanding as necessary. It's quite a bit of work to do one board. When it's done, it's a lot of pins to pry apart, so you have to carefully and evenly pull it apart.

S1011EC-40-ND
    SAM1213-24-ND
    SAM13316-ND
    SAM1245-03-ND

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c0.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	23049

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	23050

Thanks for the suggestion, this is what I am after for sure. I have not gotten around to making the next revision of my board yet but I will definitely consider these. Since I have posted this I found a few candidates as well.

Samtec MTMM-103-10-T-D-355
    and
    TE 2314820-6

I have some good news. Quite some time ago, PJRC ordered a large batch custom length header pins for exactly this use. They finally arrived late last week. I've been reluctant to mention it until now, since I wasn't 100% sure the vendor would really get it right. Fortunately, they're exactly right.

We're going to sell the pins and socket as a set. I hope to have it on the website soon.

The Ethernet Pins & Socket are now live on the website!

https://www.pjrc.com/store/header_socket_3x2.html

Name:  header_socket_3x2_1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  5.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    The Ethernet Pins & Socket are now live on the website!

https://www.pjrc.com/store/header_socket_3x2.html

Name:  header_socket_3x2_1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  5.6 KB
    That's great Paul! I will be sure to use these for my board. Is there a recommended footprint for the header? I'm sure I could use a similar part's footprint and it would be fine but just to be safe. 0.7mm drill / 1.1mm pad?