Recommend a new Teensy product based on new AVR series, AVR128DA/DB or AVR4809 line

Could you please consider a new AVR based Teensy based on the AVR series from Microchip, preferably in the 48 pin variety? The new AVRs have a lot more to offer than what is currently available except native USB support. The AVR128 series 128k Flash, 16kb sram, 12 bit ADC and even a DAC, DB even now supports and external crystal. The AVR4809 series is even the new Nano Every from Arduino, pin out same as old Nano.

Just a thought, I’m sure if PJRC produced them then support issues would be a quick fix and addition to the teensyduino files. Another benefit would be the cost, at least half that of the original AVRs used before.

Just a thought, hope you please consider it.

Thanks,

Jim

Definitely not planning to make more 8 bit Teensy products. Lack of native USB is also a deal breaker for Teensy.

I curious though, does Microchip/Atmel now document their debug protocol?

Debug Support

Definitely not planning to make more 8 bit Teensy products. Lack of native USB is also a deal breaker for Teensy.

I curious though, does Microchip/Atmel now document their debug protocol?

Not real sure, the Microchip Curiosity boards use a small Atmel M0 for usb/debugging the AVR128DA/DB MCU but MPLAB IDE supports Debug Functions, I haven’t tried using it cause the whole IDE is too much for me. Also the 28 pin PDIP package makes it easy build through hole small projects. It was just a thought cause of memory, ADC/DAC, and other things compared to the older ATMEL products and price, even goes up to 64 pin packages. I have a ATMEL-ICE programmer I use. It’s not in the same league as the Teensy 3 - 4.1 but for 8 bit chips they are pretty good and cheap.

Jim

Back