T4.1 External USB C Connector

vjmuzik

Here's a quick write up for a permanent and relatively simple way for anyone wanting to add an external USB connector to a Teensy 4.1 based PCB.

First step is to make 2 solder balls on the D+ and D- pads
IMG_1740.JPG

Next you want to similarly make 2 solder balls on the ends of 2 pins
IMG_1741.JPG

Take those 2 pins and slide them in position on your PCB without soldering them
IMG_1742.JPG

Now you can place your Teensy into position and solder it down
IMG_1743.JPG

Then you have to carefully reach your soldering iron under the Teensy and heat the solder balls together while pushing up on the pins from the bottom
IMG_1744.JPG

Once you have it soldered to the Teensy you can then solder it to the PCB and cut the pins to size

I made use of this through hole USB 2.0 Type-C connector, but any other one would work fine. I've only tested uploading sketches and Serial communication, so as far as signal integrity goes I haven't had issues yet and my prototype board had some errors in it so I had to use a couple inches of hookup wire between the Teensy and the USB C connector which is definitely not ideal in any way.

Interesting idea and a nice Type-C connector. If you don't mind I'll steal this idea and try to make a small castellated adapter board to add a USB-C connector to the T4.1. Care to mention which one is D+ in your first picture?

As per the schematic D+ is on the ground side and D- is on the power side, I thought about designing a small board, but personally I probably won’t need it so I didn’t.

Do you only need D+ and D- ? What about power/GND? Will this just plug straight into the computer and enumerate the same way the factory USB port does?

I had power and ground connected on mine, if you had a different power source then you should only need ground in addition to D+ and D- like any other USB connection. It does enumerate just like normal though, nothing special needs to be done once the connections are made.

Can that pad supply 5V into the Teensy (and enumerate the Teensy) from the computer that is connected to the newly soldered USB breakout?

Back