Teensy 4, Serial, Processing, FFT, ADC, SmartLED shield v5 [yeah, its a lot]

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinky

Basically I am trying to do a led panel driven by the SmartLED V5 Shield and Teensy 4 to do display spectrum analysis.

The demo SpectrumAnalyzer_Analog.ino didn't work. I tried to do an ADC on A2 and just display some results. No dice.

I decided to perhaps instead of doing an audio input circuit to just send serial data from a Processing 3.0 script over serial to the Teensy. After playing around for a while I decided I have no other thoughts on what to try.

The log of my progress can be found here, complete with code for the Teensy and Processing, and some more elaborate descriptions of what I have tried, what I am attempting, and what issues I am facing.

reading the linked notes - two things pop out - of the not gonna help the actual problem nature? But may help understanding and help assure useful Serial output is seen.

> Teensy 'Button' is Program - not a reset. It manually places the Teensy into Bootloader mode taking it Offline as indicated by the RED LED on the T_4.x's.

> Serial doesn't come online immediately after:
Code:
      Serial.begin(115200);
      Serial.println("Ayo we connected");

In fact that .begin is just a NULL placeholder. If compiled with USB Serial - it will arrive when the computer connects. So if within 4 seconds PC serial Monitor program connects this will assure the output is 'seen':
Code:
      Serial.begin(115200);
      [B]while ( !Serial && millis() < 4000 );[/B]
Where 'connects' is determined by seeing a USB control signal asserted ( just saw the name of it in a post past weeks but not onhand ). The IDE SerMon and (version by PJRC and the inbuilt) do that as does TyCommander ( on forum ). TyCommander also can program the Teensy ( when Teensy Loader closed ) and it has a Reset GUI button as well as a Bootloader button to help work with Teensy. It also has a 'Serial On/Off ' button to allow it to open the connect and see stuff - then turn it off making it available for other programs. And TyCommander has an Information tab that will show for sure the Serial Path to that device. ANd if you have DUAL Serial compiled in it will allow connecting to BOTH ( perhaps with one having Serial Off ) so they are viewable as desired - allowing a debug out connection while the other connection is consumed by another program. If that might be helpful see "(arduino)\examples\Teensy\USB_Serial\Triple_Serial_Test\Triple_Serial_Test.ino" for usage when compiled with DUAL or TRIPLE Serial.

reading the linked notes - two things pop out - of the not gonna help the actual problem nature? But may help understanding and help assure useful Serial output is seen.

> Teensy 'Button' is Program - not a reset. It manually places the Teensy into Bootloader mode taking it Offline as indicated by the RED LED on the T_4.x's.

> Serial doesn't come online immediately after:
Code:
      Serial.begin(115200);

In fact that .begin is just a NULL placeholder. If compiled with USB Serial - it will arrive when the computer connects. So if within 4 seconds PC serial Monitor program connects this will assure the output is 'seen':
Code:
      Serial.begin(115200);
      [B]while ( !Serial && millis() < 4000 );[/B]
Where 'connects' is determined by seeing a USB control signal asserted ( just saw the name of it in a post past weeks but not onhand ). The IDE SerMon and (version by PJRC and the inbuilt) do that as does TyCommander ( on forum ). TyCommander also can program the Teensy ( when Teensy Loader closed ) and it has a Reset GUI button as well as a Bootloader button to help work with Teensy. It also has a 'Serial On/Off ' button to allow it to open the connect and see stuff - then turn it off making it available for other programs. And TyCommander has an Information tab that will show for sure the Serial Path to that device. ANd if you have DUAL Serial compiled in it will allow connecting to BOTH ( perhaps with one having Serial Off ) so they are viewable as desired - allowing a debug out connection while the other connection is consumed by another program. If that might be helpful see "(arduino)\examples\Teensy\USB_Serial\Triple_Serial_Test\Triple_Serial_Test.ino" for usage when compiled with DUAL or TRIPLE Serial.

Thank you! I am scaling it back and trying to just send data over from processing and then display something on the led matrix to indicate it was received. I will check out that serial example and poke at some multiple connections. I **just** read that about the button right before reading your reply. Makes sense :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back