Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Teensy 4.x where to find documentation about the throughhole-contacts in the middle

  1. #1

    Teensy 4.x where to find documentation about the throughhole-contacts in the middle

    Hi everybody,

    I have two Teensy 4.1 and a teensy 4.0. WIth the package a pinout-picture for the DIL rows at the left/right side was included.
    But where can I find information about the other wholes more in the middle of the board?

    best regards Stefan

  2. #2
    Senior Member+ defragster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    13,418
    Those middle holes are USB Host arranged like on the T_3.6. See silkscreen on bottom of PCB.

  3. #3
    Senior Member+ Frank B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7,916
    Or scroll down to the bottom of this page: https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Or scroll down to the bottom of this page: https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html
    Hi Frank,

    I did scroll through this site. And it gives indeed some information. Especially the picture with the coin-cell to supply the RTC give some insight.
    IMHO there should be something similar to the Pinout as at the begining of the page.
    There are additional wholes. So I assume they have a function that goes beyond mechanical fixing in the pick&place-machine.

    I have added numbers to all of the wholes of a top-view-picture

    the picture with the coin-battery
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teensy41_vbat_coin_cell.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	23069
    whole number 14 would be ground
    and whole number 16 Vbat
    But what is the function of all the other wholes?
    best regards Stefan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teensy-4_1-numbered-contact-throughholes.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	23068  

  5. #5
    Senior Member+ MichaelMeissner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ayer Massachussetts
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanL38 View Post
    Hi Frank,

    I did scroll through this site. And it gives indeed some information. Especially the picture with the coin-cell to supply the RTC give some insight.
    IMHO there should be something similar to the Pinout as at the begining of the page.
    There are additional wholes. So I assume they have a function that goes beyond mechanical fixing in the pick&place-machine.

    I have added numbers to all of the wholes of a top-view-picture

    the picture with the coin-battery
    whole number 14 would be ground
    and whole number 16 Vbat
    But what is the function of all the other wholes?
    best regards Stefan
    There are three sets of holes inside of the Teensy 4.1:
    • There is the single hole next to the ground pin between VIN and 3.3v -- This is the VUSB pin that gives you the power from the USB connection. Typically this power is connected directly to the VIN pin, but there is a jumper underneath the Teensy that if disconnected, breaks the connection between VIN and VUSB. You would want to use that jumper if you wanted to power the Teensy externally of USB. Alternatively, you could feed VUSB into a LIPO battery charger, and feed the output of the LIPO charger to VIN.
    • There are a series of 5 pins sort of adjacent to pins 1-7. These pins are for the second USB controller (USB host). The Teensy 3.6 also has a USB host connection, and most of the documentation for it can be found there.
    • There are a series of 5 pins going across the Teensy just in front of the micro-SD drive. I believe these are the pins you are talking about. These pins are the same as the back 5 pins on the Teensy 4.0.


    The 5 pins next to the micro-SD card reader are (going from pin 27 to 38):
    • VBat -- positive power for the real time clock battery
    • 3.3v -- 3.3v voltage
    • Ground -- General ground, negative power for the real time clock battery
    • Program -- same as hitting the program pin if connected to ground
    • On/off -- If you connect it to ground for about 15 seconds, it turns off the Teensy. If you disconnect it from ground and then reconnect it to ground, it turns the Teensy back on. Note, the Teensy is not put into a hibernation state, it does a full reboot.


    Note in the original version of the reply I used 'Reset' when I meant to use 'Program'. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by MichaelMeissner; 01-04-2021 at 06:13 AM.

  6. #6
    Member KD0RC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    75
    Hi Michael, I think the pin you have as Reset is actually the programming button. It does not reset (the on/off does that sort of...) but puts the 4.1 into programming mode. If held for 15 seconds, it clears flash and re-loads the blink app. I think the on/off needs 4 seconds to turn it off and .5 seconds to turn it back on (which includes a re-boot).

    Len

  7. #7
    Hi Michael,

    thank you very much for your explanations. Did you intend to insert some links into your posting?

    You have this[*] at two places. Looks like a hint to footnote. But there is no footnote.

    Anyway is there anywhere a real documentation for the Teensy 4.1

    best regards Stefan

  8. #8
    Senior Member+ defragster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    13,418
    The real Teensy 4.1 doc - shown above - is here : pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html

    The card backside was not finished when the T_4.1 was for first printing - or not quite yet - due to covid restrictions and other limitations preventing anything near normal or desired workflow by all both of PJRC's full time employees. A new CARD printing is due and rumor has it that the backside will be complete for that card.

    However the END pins of the Teensy 4.0 as documented are in the same order as those functional pins on the T_4.1 - just shifted from the end location on the T_4.0 to a location similar to the T_3.6 allowing for the SD card on the end.

    There is no RESET on either T_4.x as the 1062 MCU doesn't accommodate that as configured for Teensy usage.

    So indeed the post above should read perhaps :: Program -- same as hitting the program button, if connected to ground

  9. #9
    Senior Member+ MichaelMeissner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ayer Massachussetts
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by KD0RC View Post
    Hi Michael, I think the pin you have as Reset is actually the programming button. It does not reset (the on/off does that sort of...) but puts the 4.1 into programming mode. If held for 15 seconds, it clears flash and re-loads the blink app. I think the on/off needs 4 seconds to turn it off and .5 seconds to turn it back on (which includes a re-boot).

    Len
    Yes, brain fault. I meant program, not reset (there isn't a reset button broken out in the 4.x). You can change the amount of time for the reset.

  10. #10
    Senior Member+ MichaelMeissner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ayer Massachussetts
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanL38 View Post
    Hi Michael,

    thank you very much for your explanations. Did you intend to insert some links into your posting?

    You have this[*] at two places. Looks like a hint to footnote. But there is no footnote.

    Anyway is there anywhere a real documentation for the Teensy 4.1

    best regards Stefan
    Yes, the original version of the document I left out some of the [ LIST ] stuff, so I could make bullet list tables. If you refresh the page, you should see the bullet list.

  11. #11

    Documentation pin holes connectors of Teensy 4.0 / Teensy 4.1 boards download

    OK so i did a gearch for teensy 4.1 on the forum and found a posting which has a link to a GitHub-repo with Teensy-documentation
    https://github.com/KurtE/TeensyDocuments

    by the way: How can I make this forum-software inserting code or url tags NOT in the first line?

    There are two pictures where all connectors of the Teensy 4.0 and Teensy 4.1 have a description

    https://github.com/KurtE/TeensyDocum...sy4%20Pins.pdf

    https://github.com/KurtE/TeensyDocum...4.1%20Pins.pdf

    For convenience I attach them to this posting
    @PJRC: Don't you think it would be professional to have a similar picture created by PJRC and offered for download at a prominent place on your website?

    best regards stefan
    Attached Files Attached Files

  12. #12
    Senior Member+ MichaelMeissner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ayer Massachussetts
    Posts
    3,962

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by StefanL38 View Post
    OK so i did a gearch for teensy 4.1 on the forum and found a posting which has a link to a GitHub-repo with Teensy-documentation
    https://github.com/KurtE/TeensyDocuments

    by the way: How can I make this forum-software inserting code or url tags NOT in the first line?
    In the display for posting there are a series of buttons above the posting window. The one with a hashtag ('#') posts [ CODE ] [ /CODE ] tags, and you put your code in between the [ CODE ] and [ /CODE ]. Note when you are writing it, there are no spaces between the brackets an the keywords. And obviously as my previous posts show, if you type things in by hand, you can miss some parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by StefanL38 View Post
    There are two pictures where all connectors of the Teensy 4.0 and Teensy 4.1 have a description

    https://github.com/KurtE/TeensyDocum...sy4%20Pins.pdf

    https://github.com/KurtE/TeensyDocum...4.1%20Pins.pdf

    For convenience I attach them to this posting
    @PJRC: Don't you think it would be professional to have a similar picture created by PJRC and offered for download at a prominent place on your website?

    best regards stefan
    Paul has been starting to update the documentation, but it will be a long haul. There is also the unofficial twiki where users can update hints and such:


    In terms of connectors, I have a spreadsheet I made for my own usage that compares the pinouts of the various Teensies:

  13. #13
    Senior Member+ KurtE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,441
    Good morning all,

    Yes it would be great if PJRC would post a new bottom of the card for the T4.1 and as @defragster mentioned, I believe that is in the works. But in the mean time Paul has been making a lot of improvements to the website over the last few weeks. And as Defragster mentioned right now almost all of the work is being done by mostly Paul(PJ) and Robin(RC), which includes (ordering, shipping, testing, answering questions...)

    As for my Excel document and images from it. I did them for my own usage and hopefully helps others as well. However I don't expect that these images will likely make it into the top level product pages as the data on this, in many cases is more detailed and or inconsistent in terminology. Example The T4.1 pages:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T4.1-Cardlike.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	23073
    Example the GPIO columns. I show pin 0 as being Pin 3 on Port 1... But the code and other documents shows it is on Port 6? Why? Because the IMXRT 1060 documents show them as Port 1-5 where as ports 6-9 are when the pins are converted to use the high speed version, which by we do at at code startup time (startup.c). So which is better to show? Note the actual card does not show this as probably a high percentage of users never go to this detail.

    Dito on PWM. The card just says PWM for all of the pins that support (analogWrite). But I instead show a short hand version which shows which clock/pin is used to do PWM on it. Again most don't care. But there are times you do. Example if you want different pins to run at different frequencies than you need to know that those pins that are on the same logical clock have to run at same PWM frequency. Example pins 2 and 3 are both on the same timer 4 sub-timer 2 but are the A and B pins of that timer...

    Or if you want even more data there are the new pages I have been playing with for the T4.1 where I want a short hand way to not have to look at the IMXRT PDF everytime I wish to know how to configure a pin to do some function: But again most people don't need/want this data:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	23074
    But again for most people probably overkill.

    As to your questions?

    Not sure of: not on first line?

    Code tags: You can do by using the # button to add in the tags.

    URL's you can simply type in and the forum code will parse.

    You can also setup to do links which instead of showing URL shows descriptive text to click on,
    By typing in text, selecting it, and then hit the button which looks like it has a globe... and it brings up a dialog where you can put in the URL.

    To attach other files after the first postings, you can click on the Advanced button, and it will bring you to a fuller editor page, which if you scroll down there is a section for manage attachments.

    Hope that helps.

  14. #14
    Senior Member+ Frank B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7,916
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtE View Post
    Good morning all,
    Gooood Morning
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtE View Post
    As to your questions?

    Not sure of: not on first line?
    I think he meant "column".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •