Currently purchasable audio codecs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I'm currently using the Audio shield, for Teensy 4.1, and it works fine.
BUT
I need better S/N.
I've googled, and I see there is at least one project to address this:
https://hackaday.io/project/8567-hifi-audio-codec-module
but it doesn't have recent progress, and it doesn't look like it can be purchased, assembled.
There's this, but I can't tell what's required to get this to work with Teensy, and also I've never heard of BangGood (!)
So what I'd like to know is, what can I buy now that will work with the Teensy audio library, that has higher S/N ratio than the audio shield? Anything?

I'm not sure what level of integration / construction you are willing to do. Ie do you just want a proven design and are happy to buy and solder components yourself, or r are happy if it has header pins but not in a teensy footprint, or it needs to be pluggable with a teensy 4.1?

Also, are you after ADC only or DAC or both? And what SNR would you accept?

I don't pretend to know much about codecs but I'm sure others will find it easier to help you with some more information to direct their thinking.

There's this, but I can't tell what's required to get this to work with Teensy

I have that exact board sitting on my workbench. Or rather, buried under a bunch of other stuff....

It was purchased because of this old thread.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/59383-change-I2S-BCK-ratio

But of course it took a couple months to arrive, and by then we struggling to keep the company running during a pandemic lockdown, and get Teensy 4.1 released. So it sat here through most of 2020. Maybe it's time to finally wire it up and check if it really works? (it's configurable for different protocols and I'm pretty sure all the trouble on that old thread was due to having it set to the wrong protocol)

You can use a PCM1808 which is tested. I've personally used it.
Edit: Sorry, PCM5102. PCM1808 was the ADC ;) I used both - they can work together.

PCM1802 is also an ADC. Claimed S/R 105dB and THD+N 96dB.

FWIW, I also recently updated the CS42448 test board for Teensy 4.x, and added a PCM1808 ADC, so all 8 channels can be tested. Boards are on order from OSH Park.

I use the audio library with USB input and SPDIF optical output. I have no noise issues.

You haven't explained what you need to do, but stay digital as much as possible and if you have to do a A/D or D/A conversion, consider using low noise external units (I use a high-spec Topping E30 DAC).

Hi!

I'm currently using the Audio shield, for Teensy 4.1, and it works fine.
BUT
I need better S/N.
I've googled, and I see there is at least one project to address this:
https://hackaday.io/project/8567-hifi-audio-codec-module
but it doesn't have recent progress, and it doesn't look like it can be purchased, assembled.
There's this, but I can't tell what's required to get this to work with Teensy, and also I've never heard of BangGood (!)
So what I'd like to know is, what can I buy now that will work with the Teensy audio library, that has higher S/N ratio than the audio shield? Anything?

You didn't mention what you are using it for? Line-level signals? Guitar signals? Microphone?

I have a Teensy shield that is optimized for low-noise and guitars but can also used with line level.
https://www.tindie.com/products/blackaddr/arduino-teensy-guitar-audio-shield/

Blackaddr, I like the look of your shield. I’m really interested in low noise/ high dynamic range because I want to hand-code really nice amp emulation. What’s your s/n ratio?

I’m sorry - soldering the pads doesn’t work but a wire does? Does the wire act like a little capacitor?

Nope. The problem is a design flaw in the PCM1802 breakout PCB. Those 5 pads should connect to 3.3V, but whoever designed the board didn't connect them to anything at all.

Detailed writeup on the blog.

https://www.pjrc.com/pcm1802-breakout-board-needs-hack/

Hopefully this will save anyone else trying to use these cheap PCM1802 boards from a lot of frustration!

Blackaddr, I like the look of your shield. I’m really interested in low noise/ high dynamic range because I want to hand-code really nice amp emulation. What’s your s/n ratio?

The SNR of the WM8731 codec is 90dB, but you'll never get that in a real guitar circuit. Every component in the entire signal chain add some kind of noise and the CODEC is the lowest source of noise. Most noise floors are determined by interference from digital circuits getting into the analog signal path through inadequate power supply design and filtering, along with non-optimal PCB layout.

There is no way you will get a measurable SNR of 105 dB SNR on that PCM1808 board. Keep in mind 16-bit audio only has 96dB of dynamic range in the first place. Consumer grade equipment that sounds noisy (as in you can hear it very easily) is usually an actual SNR of -40dB to -60dB when measured from input jack to output jack. Good, well designed equipment is usually in the -70dB to -80dB range. True studio grade equipment costing thousands can push into the 90s, but it's only achievable with power supply conditioning units (the ones that clean up the mains high voltage).

For guitarists, once you get past about 70dB, the PCB (if well designed) is no longer that worst noise/interference contributor, it's the guitar pickups themselves. A studio isn't a studio because it has expensive equipment. A studio is an environment (often consisting of low lighting and power conditioners and filters everywhere to minimize electrical interference).

High gain guitar circuits are particularly susceptible to noise. Have a low-noise PCB is a good start, but you must also design a high impedance guitar preamp if you want to plug your guitar straight in (likely for fuzz effects, etc.). Most good high gain digital models obtain good performance through carefully designed digital filters to significantly reduce noise in frequencies outside the target guitar frequencies.

Building a digital guitar pedal goes way beyond a codec and DSP processor. In addition to the guitar preamp, you must build protection circuits. Most codecs take 1Vpp. If you send the output from 9V guitar pedal into the codec you can potentially fry the input. I've seen people even fry codec inputs using really h ot humbuckers and passive bass guitars too.

One of the reasons I made the TGA Pro was because there is so much more stuff required for the special case of guitar that people just don't realize. Then they spend all their time blowing up codecs, or dealing with awful digital noise interference instead of learning to program stuff with the wicked Teensy Audio library.

Last edited:
Nope. The problem is a design flaw in the PCM1802 breakout PCB...

Just received a PCM1808 board, not quite the same but other people have said it will work, so I'll try maybe tonight.

I'm curious, though - what does the audio library do about the fact that it's a 24 bit input? The library I think is only 16 bits, right? What happens? does the library throw out the bottom 8 bits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back