Using a Teensy 4.1 with a remote relay (100 feet away)

jimmie

I have a Teensy 4.1 and I want to control a relay which is connected to a low voltage load.

The relay requires a 5V signal and it is located over 100 feet away from the Teensy.

I would appreciate the community's help in directing me to how to control that relay given the far distance and the need to boost the 3.3 V signal from Teensy.

A couple of quick thoughts on one possibility:

Run two signals (pinX & pinY, along with a common ground shared) from the Teensy to the relay location. Set pinX HIGH & pinY LOW for "ON". Set pinX LOW & pinY HIGH for "OFF". Use a comparator (op-amp with no feedback, powered by +5VDC & a common ground shared with the Teensy) at the relay location, where the signal from pinX is connected to the "+" input and the signal from pinY is connected to the "-" input. With these connections as described, the "ON" condition will be active when pinX > pin Y, and the "OFF" condition will be active when pinY > pinX. The output of the comparator should change between "HIGH" and "LOW" based upon the driven state of the pinX & pinY inputs as defined/described.

Hope that helps . . .

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

[ Sorry for the double-post . . . we're motoring down the highway, so internet (hotspot thru my phone) is coming & going ( & yes, my wife is driving at the moment, not me :p ) ]

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Note the original port was from about a year and ago. The new post today appeared to be Spam.

DOH !! Didn't even look at the date of the original post . . . as you can probably already tell, I just responded to the "new post" notification !! I guess my suggestion can just lay there in wait for someone to come passing by, potentially looking for a solution to a similar problem . . .

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Back