I2S adafruit 98357a buzz, no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogJon

Trying out Teensy 4.1 connected to Adafruit MAX 98357a I2S audio amp (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3006) but all I get is a buzzing sound. The buzzing sound stops if I move finger near board or touch ground on board. But nothing from the sample audio files.

WaveFileSample.ino from Teensy Audio Examples is attached. Edited, I hope, correctly for this application.
Also attached the Arduino IDE compile messages.

Connections from Teensy to Adafruit :
5v Vin
Gnd Gnd
7 Din
20 Lrc
21 Bck

I am not a complete newbie, but only just.
Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• WavFilePlayer.ino
    3.1 KB · Views: 63
  • CompileMessages.txt
    51.3 KB · Views: 60
The buzzing sound is an indication that something may be wrong with your hardware.
Please show a photo of the wiring.

And test a simpler thing first. A sine output for example.
With the waveplayer there are more things that can cause issues.. problematic card, wrong files.. etc.
So keep it simple, for testing the hardware.

Probably a mistake or misunderstanding in the wiring. We can probably help more if you show photos of how you really connected it. The best anyone can say is this hardware is definitely known to work. Without photos, we're just blind guessing what's wrong.

Snaps attached

I tried first time with breadboard. Then, mistrusting the flimsy connections tried again soldered. For the breadboard photo I have unplugged the speaker to clearly show the logic connections.
frogJon01.jpg
frogJon02.jpg
I have also run the ToneSweep sample (ino attached). Same problem.
View attachment ToneSweepI2S.ino
I have two of the adafruit audio cards. Tried both, and get the same buzzing.
I noticed today that the little speaker gets pretty warm while buzzing so a lot of power must be going to it.
I am sure I had this working a couple of months ago so am belwildered now. However, the Teensy board has previously had headers attached, then desoldered and wires attached, then more desoldering. Is there a possibility it has suffered some damage? It seems to work OK doing other stuff.
I ordered another 4.1 in December but am still waiting to receive it (That is France for you).
Thanks in advance.

Sorted

Hello all and thanks for your help so far.
Just received another T4.1 which is working fine with the adafruit I2S so clearly I have wrecked the previous card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back