Shipping with a Bootloader for SD-Card ??

Python is by far the most requested interpreted language. I know you love Forth, but I hope you can understand that viewpoint is relatively rare among the people who buy & use Teensy.

I did not really think, that you would jump onto this idea using "weird" Forth here. :)

(( I have discovered, that if I use a simple way of local variables in Forth and if I use normal structured source text files instead of Blockfiles, I can solve the problem, that forth code is often not readable for me. And, I don't know why, but it is more rewarding or more fulfilling for me to write code in Forth. Perhaps because you write and test very small code snippets, you get faster positive feedback. I have been able to jump into understanding Midi Messages in one single afternoon. This is nice. In the old FIG Forth letters, people have claimed, that a project could be done in a 10th of the time compared to C.))

Still I think there is some misunderstanding regarding Python. It absolutely makes a lot of sense to use it, if you can use one of its powerful libraries, like Numpy and Pyplot.... I have used this at my PC and it saved me a lot of time.
On a controller, I have not seen the advantages of Python yet. The idea, that you have to find out the type of a variable at runtime is not convincing for me.

I dont use 3.5/6 or 4.1s :)

Honestly whats easier? Copy a file (where is my card ????) to a SD (where is my card reader????) and plug it into a board (dont forget to make the SD Slot easily acessible - my Teensys are sandwiched between 2 boards so only the USB would be acessible...where is my screwdriver ??? ) or just plug in a USB cable both sides, no hassle install (once!) the Loader and there you are.

But thinking about making it hassle-free for the user how about having the loader bundled with the hex file in some way?

That way you could provide a single executable file, with the single purpose of downloading the single bundeld hex file to whatever matching Teensy is attached. This frees up from installing something (which might be a big hurdle for some people), downloading another file, starting the Teensyloader and open the matchin hex file and click "Download". Might be to much to "Mobile Device experience only" people.

Just download, plug in the Teensy and klick on the Loader.

Easier than BASIC? Should i have a look at it? It just because i feel my Code looks like BASIC code in a C++ Wrapper ;-)

I still think BASIC is ideal for beginners.
And I don't like Python.

But if I had to choose between nothing or Python, I'd choose Python..

But thinking about making it hassle-free for the user how about having the loader bundled with the hex file in some way?

Maybe this should be a new thread, but I'll just briefly mention my hope for WebHID to become officially supported by Chrome and hopefully other browsers.

https://web.dev/hid/

Then it will become possible to make a browser-based Teensy Loader, and from there, customizing for a fixed HEX file should be fairly straightforward.

Back