Help! Very weird issue with FastLED + WS2812Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpaolini

Hi everyone,

I've developed a library for Teensy 4 + Audio Adapter board, based on FastLED + WS2812Serial and built a physical project on it.

Code, photos and detailed documentation is here: https://github.com/lpaolini/Striptease.

I'm having a very weird issue: at random times all connected LED strips freeze, but everything else keeps working.
This can happen even in "stop" mode, when the only FastLED function invoked in the loop is FastLED.show().
I can send commands through the IR remote, or via serial monitor and get perfectly normal feedback messages (via serial monitor).

The interesting thing is that this condition seems to survive reflashing, of the same code, which should imply a reboot..
I even tried flashing a different program based on WS2812Serial only for LED control (no FastLED) and again, strips don't come to live.
Powering everything down for a few seconds fixes the problem, but only temporarily, until it happens again.

Then I've tried a simplified version of my library which runs entirely on WS2812Serial, without FastLED, and that version has never frozen, so far.

I suspect there's a bug in FastLED (or WS28128Serial) messing up the serial ports used for sending LED data to the strips, and those ports are not reset properly when booting the T4 after a reflash. Does it make sense?

Please help me with this, I'm a bit stuck. :-/

Thanks in advance,
Luca

Update

Ha! It happened with the WS2812Serial-only (no FastLED) version too.
That restricts the search quite a lot and probably exonerates FastLED.

Luca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back