AltSoftSerial on Teensy 4.1 - What pins should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptophead

believe it or not I ran out of Ser ports and need a soft serial.

I heard great things about AltSoftSerial. but there are not specs for T 4.1.
Does it work on it?
Thanks

Also I am trying to use this library on a Arduino Nano,

Using the same processor like the UNO , thought I could use pins 8RX and 9(TX).

But it does not receive anything most the time. If I put the oscilloscope probe on Pin 8 I do get some random numbers as being received.
I am sending stuff from the Serial8 of the Teensy 4.1 at 9600 baud. I am writing simple stuff such as Serial8.write (4);

How do I use this library on the NANO>?

Thanks
mitch

AltSoftSerial does not work on Teensy 4.1. The main reason is a belief that 8 serial ports are enough for anyone (kinda like 640K on old PCs....) Likewise, SoftwareSerial when used with non-serial pins has limited support for transmitting, but not receiving. Since there are 8 real serial ports, pretty much no work has gone into SoftwareSerial support on Teensy 4.1.

Kurt's FlexIO serial library is probably your best path to a 9th serial port on Teensy 4.1.

I really can't help much with Arduino Nano. I don't have that board. I can tell you I did test AltSoftSerial on Arduino Uno, which is supposed to be essentially the same hardware. AltSoftSerial absolutely does work on the 2 genuine Arduino Uno boards I have (R3 and the original 1st release).

If your Arduino Nano is actually a cheap Chinese counterfeit, consider the chip is probably a countefeit too, not actually the real AVR chip made by Atmel/Microchip. I've been told the counterfeit AVR chips have many minor differences which don't affect simple programs. If you're seeing a program like AltSoftSerial not work as it should, try testing on known-genuine hardware with a real AVR chip from Atmel/Microchip.

Great advice, I used a natural port from Teensy for TX.

On the Nano side I could not make AltSoft work so I tried the NeoSWSerial library and it works. Not saying that Alt Soft is not good... but did not receive. Maybe I have a cheap clone...

I would use a Teensy for RX too, but my application requires some 5V logic level outputs...

Thanks
Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back