Video test

mborgerson

I have a video file (MP4) that I want to post to show PXP usage in slide show transitions on an ILI9341 display.

How can I add this video to a forum post. The .mp4 fie is about 2.5MB.

The <insert video> button wants a link to an internet file and doesn't seem able to load a file from my computer.

When I select the file for upload in the upload manager, I get an 'upload failed' error.

You need to upload the video to one of the sites mentioned in the video link window 2021-01-20 22_26_50-Start.png, and then enter the link into the window.
2021-01-20 22_24_23-Start.png

I think Google is the only one where I have an account. I'll see what I need to do for that. I wonder if I could put the video on my GitHub account, along with the code and demo .BMP files. I've never tried to upload anything there except source code and documentation.

I wonder what would happen if I zipped the video and the demo .bmp files and tried to post that. I suppose that because video doesn't compress much, the total might exceed upload limits.

Okay, here is a video from a slide show run on the T4.1 and using the pixel pipeline for transitions and pan and zoom effects during slide display.

The video quality is poor------it was filmed with an IPhone which wanted to adjust the exposure all the time and ended up with lots of pixelization artifacts. It does, however, show the variety of transitions that are possible with PXP assistance. The pan and zoom effect took only about 100 lines of code because the PXP handled all the pixel manipulations.

I hope to clean up and post the code in the next few days. I will also put the code and the .bmp files for the slides in a github repository.

For comparison, here is one of the photos in the slide show:
View attachment DSound.bmp

This is a 320 x 240 .bmp file. I converted the multi-megabyte original to .bmp using the free (and very useful) FastStone image viewer for Windows.

The slides are displayed using the ILI9341_T3N library. This library is also used to render the labels to a bitmap, which is then displayed like the slides--allowing them to fade out or dissolve into a slide.

Wow, that's cool.
Can you publish it at github?

I think I'll have it on GitHub sometime tomorrow. The code seems pretty stable now, but I need to clean up excess debug statements and add some documentation.

I suppose I could add a few more types of transitions pretty easily, but that can wait a while.

A major new release will allow the inputs to be other than RGB888 .bmp files and to send the output to something other than a QVGA RGB565 display. Even further down the line is the ability to read and decode .jpg files. A major problem there will be handling larger JPG files that will expand to many megabytes when converted to RGB565 or RGB888. As the code stands now, the three PXP buffers (processing surface, alpha surface, and output surface) all fit in onboard memory ( ps and as in DMAMEM and output in DTCM). Larger files will require EXTMEM and performance will be reduced.

I figured out how to get a better video of the slide show transition. This video was taken from the display of the slide show app I plan to post on GitHub tomorrow.

This whole thing about posting videos on line is new to me. After all, I'm a genuine old fart with no Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook accounts. Online videos are a long ways from the close-to-the-metal programming I really enjoy.

I've created a GitHub repository with the Slideshow library. The repository has the Slideshow class, an example program, and 5 files that are used by the example program. The repository is here: https://github.com/mjborgerson/Slideshow

The Slideshow library also requires the latest version of the PXP library, which is here: https://github.com/mjborgerson/PXP

To run the Slideshow example you will need the following hardware:

* T4.1 or a T4.0 with an attached SD card socket.
* An ILI9341 display compatible with the ILI9341_t3n library.

You will also need the latest version of the SD library from TD 1.54b5.

Procedure:

Download the zip files for the Slideshow and the PXP libraries. Extract these libraries and put them in your sketches/libraries folder in folders named "Slideshow" and "PXP"

In the Slideshow folder, there is an Examples folder. This folder contains a folder named "Slideshow_test" . In that folder you can find the Slideshow_test.ino example program and a folder named "Slideshow files" The slide show files need to be moved from this folder to the root directory of the SD card from the Teensy. When you have copied the files, you can run the Slideshow_test.ino sketch.

The Slideshow test was inspired by the screensaver on my IMac. However, the use of the PXP for scaling and transitioning between images should also be useful in applications like touchscreen GUIs, where you may want to display a splash screen or switch between gui panels in a less jarring manner than a fast switch to a new panel.

Back