Can't compile anything for my Teensies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvernham

I did a clean install of 1.8.13 on Windows 10 oro and I can not compile anything because is is looking for hardware/cores that no longer exist.

Every time I try to compile anything I get: loading hardware from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware: loading package mighty-1284P: invalid version dir C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\mighty-1284P\mighty-1284p-1.6.3\avr: no major version found

I looked in the registry and the environmental variables and could not find anything.
I have not had that hardware installed and have tried doing fresh IDE installs and also using CC cleaner. I can not find the GCC environment variable to delete so I am not sure where to find the setting to get rid fo the "mightly 1284P" hardware.

I don't have this issue with the "APP" from the APP store.

Because Teensyduino does not work with the Windows APP I can not compile anything for my Teensy 3.2 or 3.6?

I also was looking at starting with the 4.1 for a CAN logger project but I can not because I can't compile anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Click Tools > Boards. Whatever it shows, select a non-Teensy board like Arduino Uno. Wait just a moment while Arduino updates itself. Then click the menu again and select Teensy 3.6.

Arduino also has a special portable mode, which gives you a copy of the Arduino IDE which doesn't share setting or info with any other copy. You might extract Arduino's non-admin zip file, create the "portable" folder inside that copy, then run the Teensyduino installer on it. Teensyduino does support the portable install. But the tricky thing about having more than 1 copy of Arduino on your PC is they then to look alike and it's easy to get them mixed up, especially if you click a file and Windows has to choose which one to run. Not a problem if you're careful to always run the right one first...

While you did a clean install of Arduino 1.8.13 you didn't install the Teensyduino which provides the cores and libraries for Teensy boards. Teensyduino can be obtained from: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html. There are instructions on the page for installing but simply download Teensyduino, run Teensyduino, select the folder where you put 1.8.13 and then install.

How do you create a "portable folder"? Don't put it in "program files"?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 62
PS I can't compare any boards on the non APP version but I only need the non App version for Teensy boards.

How do you create a "portable folder"? Don't put it in "program files"?

Follow these instructions:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/PortableIDE

The very first step says "a compressed version of the Arduino IDE according to your OS", which for Windows means you download the ZIP version (not the store app, not the exe installer).

You will need to remember the path where you extracted this file when you run the Teensyduino installer. The 2nd step of the installer asks for the location to install all the Teensy files. If you just click "Next" without paying careful attention, you'll end up installing again to the default location where the EXE installer places everything. Make sure you select the copy you extracted from the ZIP file.

Again, run the Teensyduino installer *after* you have created the portable folder inside that copy of Arduino. The installer will notice you have the portable folder and it will perform the install accordingly. If you do these steps in the wrong order, the installer won't know to do things specific to the portable setup.

@ bvernham your Screenshot shows you are compiling for a Arduino Due? That's *NOT* a Teensy.

This reason why I showed this is because I can not compile anything. Due, Uno, Teensy, nothing.

When I select Teensy 3.1/3.2 and try to compile I get the exact same message.

Did you create a "portable" Arduino IDE and try installing Teensyduino into that copy? That ought to be the simplest way to get Teensy working.

To fix this problem affecting all Arduino copies with any board, you'll probably need to edit or delete your Arduino preferences file. It's stored in a special hidden folder. I mostly use Linux, so I'm not familiar with the default path where it's stored on Windows (and my workbench is cluttered with bootloader stuff right now, so get set up my Windows test machine at this moment).

But if you create the portable copy, it will have all of its own files stored internally in that portable folder, making it completely stand-alone and unaffected by the preferences & settings of the other Arduino software on your PC. I really believe you should do that first and get things working again in a portable copy, before you tackle the larger issue of fixing whatever went wrong with Arduino settings.

Just to be clear, this isn't a problem with Teensy or Teensyduino software. It's your Arduino software, and from the messages you've shown, it looks like the problem is related to a botched install of "mighty-1284P", not Teensy. For how to fix this Arduino problem, best to ask on Arduino's forum. Odds are good someone there will be familiar with Windows and how to fix or delete the preferences file.

Did you create a "portable" Arduino IDE and try installing Teensyduino into that copy? That ought to be the simplest way to get Teensy working.

To fix this problem affecting all Arduino copies with any board, you'll probably need to edit or delete your Arduino preferences file. It's stored in a special hidden folder. I mostly use Linux, so I'm not familiar with the default path where it's stored on Windows (and my workbench is cluttered with bootloader stuff right now, so get set up my Windows test machine at this moment).

But if you create the portable copy, it will have all of its own files stored internally in that portable folder, making it completely stand-alone and unaffected by the preferences & settings of the other Arduino software on your PC. I really believe you should do that first and get things working again in a portable copy, before you tackle the larger issue of fixing whatever went wrong with Arduino settings.

Just to be clear, this isn't a problem with Teensy or Teensyduino software. It's your Arduino software, and from the messages you've shown, it looks like the problem is related to a botched install of "mighty-1284P", not Teensy. For how to fix this Arduino problem, best to ask on Arduino's forum. Odds are good someone there will be familiar with Windows and how to fix or delete the preferences file.

No, I was responding to the post.

The issue is the only reason I need to use the downloaded installer vs the "APP" is because of TEENSY. No other boards have an issue with the APP from the APP store so this is why it is an issue.

If Teensyduino could work with the APP you would not be getting this support request.

I will try the portable install tomorrow.

FYI I have already contacted Arduino. The part I can not understand is I never used the mighty hardware/cores on this PC so I have no idea where the IDE is picking this up from.

Thanks

Not sure if this relates or helps? Just did a fresh UNZIP to :: Directory of T:\arduino_1.8.13_td154Port\
Created :: Directory of T:\arduino_1.8.13_td154Port\portable

Opened the IDE and The Portable gets these folders:
Directory of T:\arduino_1.8.13_td154Port\portable

01/21/2021 05:35 PM <DIR> logs
01/21/2021 05:36 PM 2,391 preferences.txt
01/21/2021 05:35 PM <DIR> sketchbook

The Hardware Teensy folder still gets the TeensyDuino installed in the Upper lever Arduino Folder - not within the Portable directory:
Directory of T:\arduino_1.8.13_td154Port\hardware

01/21/2021 05:23 PM <DIR> arduino
01/21/2021 05:23 PM 9,946 package_index_bundled.json
01/21/2021 05:23 PM 7,194 platform.keys.rewrite.txt
01/21/2021 05:36 PM <DIR> teensy
01/21/2021 05:34 PM <DIR> tools

Anything TeensyDuino installs is used on the usual paths.

But Portable will get this Sketchbook used when that directory exists - and use the Library folder from that folder:
Directory of T:\arduino_1.8.13_td154Port\portable
01/21/2021 05:35 PM <DIR> logs
01/21/2021 05:35 PM <DIR> sketchbook

Directory of T:\arduino_1.8.13_td154Port\portable\logs

Directory of T:\arduino_1.8.13_td154Port\portable\sketchbook
01/21/2021 05:35 PM <DIR> libraries

Directory of T:\arduino_1.8.13_td154Port\portable\sketchbook\libraries

No, I was responding to the post.

The issue is the only reason I need to use the downloaded installer vs the "APP" is because of TEENSY. No other boards have an issue with the APP from the APP store so this is why it is an issue.

If Teensyduino could work with the APP you would not be getting this support request.

I will try the portable install tomorrow.

FYI I have already contacted Arduino. The part I can not understand is I never used the mighty hardware/cores on this PC so I have no idea where the IDE is picking this up from.

Thanks

... crossposted as I was unzipping and confirming for post #13.

TeensyDuino only works when and because it modifies the JAVA code installed with the indicated installs - that excludes the Windows App as it installs in a unique way in a unique location.

That TeensyDuino integration with the JAVA code adds some set of fixes, features and extensions PJRC supplies to provide the best and expected user experience with Teensy. It makes sure the build works with Teensy ARM toolset and perhaps most importantly provides a much improved Serial Monitor set of code capable of handling the high rate of Teensy 4.x's 480 Mbps output rate without crashing or losing data long before it should.

No other boards have an issue with the APP from the APP store so this is why it is an issue.

Windows doesn't allow programs to write to the folders where the APP software are stored, even if run with admin privilege.

As Defragster explained, Teensyduino needs to install patches to the Java code.

With Arduino 1.8.13, the main 2 things those patches do is allow the serial monitor to work in non-serial USB modes, and performance improvements which (usually) allow the serial monitor to keep up with the incredible speed Teensy 4.x can transmit if you use Serial.print() without delays for sustained data transfer. Older versions of Arduino needed more...

No other Arduino compatible boards offer these USB modes without a serial port (using HID to emulate serial). Even though some other boards like Arduino Due & Portenta have 480 Mbit/sec USB, their USB software is nowhere near the incredible speed of Teensy 4.0. When we first released Teensy 4.0 (in August 2019) there were many problems where even very simple programs using Serial.print() without delay would crash or lock up the entire Arduino IDE, even on Linux, causing you to lose any unsaved work! Here's a blog article I wrote about those optimizations.

https://www.pjrc.com/improving-arduino-serial-monitor-performance/

The Arduino developers are aware of these issues. They do intend to fix them... someday. Here's a conversation I had with their (relatively new) lead developer only a few weeks ago.

https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli/issues/700

This isn't anything new. Several of the features in Arduino 1.8.13 began as special improvements by Teensyduino and were eventually contributed back to the Arduino code base. The "pluggable discovery" feature is one of those. With older version like 1.8.5 which lack that feature, the Teensyduino installer also needs to add it, so Teensy's non-serial modes can be properly detected and appear in the Tools > Ports menu.

Pretty much all other boards on the market follow the "everything must be a serial port" design, and the actual sustained data transfer speeds they are able to achieve are usually under 1 Mbyte/sec. Teensy 4.x gives you so much more, but the Arduino IDE just isn't up to the task yet. Historically, Teensy has kept pushing the performance boundary for microcontrollers, and while we do work with the Arduino developers and contribute those improvements back to everyone, it is a very slow process. Like everyone, the Arduino devs are very busy with their own work, so this sort of thing is usually a low priority for them. I had hoped Portenta would increase their need for higher performance serial monitor, but sadly Serial.print() on Portenta is currently very inefficient, not even half the speed of Teensy 3.2.

That is why Teensyduino needs to install special patches which no other boards need, and the strong restrictions Microsoft Windows imposes for APP Store installs (which can't be overridden even by the administrator account) are the reason why we can't install into the APP Store version.

Just as added info I went to the Windows APP store for the Arduino and noticed several things:
1. IDE Release date is 9/15/2016 so not 100% sure the version you downloaded is 1.8.13 you should double check by clicking on help.

2. Reading the reviews a lot seem to indicate that the version on the APP store is rather buggy and a couple recommend just going to Arduino.cc and downloading the installer from there.

3. Along what Paul just said another review stated "The installed will locate many critical configuration files in folders that are not user accessible. Go directly to arduino.cc and download the executable installer from there."

Yep, Teensy 4.1 is my next stop. Problem is I need to create a BOB with the necessary connections for peripheral like serial,display, I2C, general IO and the CAN transceivers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back