New User, Teensyduino and bootloader questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregevans209

Are the extra features provided by teensyduino available in other IDE's? I'm aware that Teensyduino itself only works with Arduino IDE, but are those features available by default on larger IDE's like Visual Studio? I'm very new to Teensy and so far my experience with it hasn't been great as both of the projects I bought it for require modifying the bootloader which from what I understand is not possible on the Teensy 4.1. I was planning on migrating away from Arduino IDE once I started these projects but now the Teensyduino stuff has me thinking I have to use Arduino IDE to have full access to the device.

Is it possible to use something like Visual Studio with the right plug-ins installed to control the extra board features that Teensyduino provides? Also, can someone explain to me what makes the Teensy 4.1 unique in 2021 that requires the bootloader chip to be closed source? I am unable to use the Teensy 4.1 for the projects I bought it for because I can't modify the bootloader and set fuses to my knowledge and as I browse for other devices I'm seeing that they all have similar specs to the teensy without any of these specific limitations. Was teensy the first board to have this powerful of a processor and the boards I'm looking out came later or something? Right now the only thing unique I'm seeing about the teensy that I can't find on other boards is that all of the digital pins have PWM. I dont mean to bash on the board at all, Im just trying to figure out what its strengths are so I can use it properly given that I cant use it for any of the projects I bought it for initially, and what catches those strengths have like the locked down bootloader, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me and had I known in advance I likely would have purchased something else, unless Im misunderstanding the entire Teensy bootloader situation.

If someone could explain the teensy bootloader to me, and what makes it different from the open source bootloader, its pros and cons, that would be much appreciated.

... this just popped up as unanswered ... :(

The PJRC bootloader is designed to allow efficient and safe upload using USB interface in a way that keeps the board from being bricked. The bootloader is stored on a second processor and handles the upload over USB.

TeensyLoader or TyCommander and perhaps others implement the upload protocol to use USB to transfer the HEX file for programming.

IDE and TeensyDuino with TeensyLoader are the supported means of Teensy usage. Given that there are other IDE's and environments posted around the forum - platform IO, Something @luni did { github.com/luni64/VisualTeensy } in VSCode, and VisualMicro has an adaptation as well.

Difficult to give an answer to a question which was never really a question in the first place. But nice try anyway!

Specifically this...

I am unable to use the Teensy 4.1 for the projects I bought it for because I can't modify the bootloader and set fuses to my knowledge an

... is lacking any sort of detail about what won't work. That's not how this forum works. While the "forum rule" might not necessarily apply if no code has been written yet, at the very least we generally expect some sort of effort to explain the problem so we can try to offer solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back