Frequency Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleC

I'm building a solid state power amplifier for amateur radio. I need to get just the MHz that the amp will be fed (1.8 to 54MHz). I am using the stock FrequencyCount with a Teensy 4.1. It is accurate to 30MHZ and not any beyond that. I would think that with a 600MHz clock, the Teensy could handle that.

Am I right? Where do I need to look?

Seems like 30 MHz was the upper end of the limit observed in beta for 4.0 or 4.1.

@mjs513 might have feedback on that? He tested against a freq generator. Not sure if there is an alternate way to adjust the clock or a way to use an alternate clock input directly.

Could you just divide the input signal by two with an appropriate flip-flop or counter IC? You would lose some resolution, but you would not have to worry about messing with the software innards of the frequency counter library. I did a divide by 8 in a project some years ago and the counter chip also had the advantage of squaring up the input and adding some hysteresis.

Since I'm interested in measuring MHz's as well, I tried example "Serial_Output_T4.ino".
The serial monitor shows a rock-solid "50000000".
Even when setting
Code:
  analogWriteFrequency(8, 75000000);   // very short jumper from pin 8 to pin 9
shows a stable "75000000".

But apparently I don't understand analogWriteFrequency very well: when I set the frequency to 60000000 or 62500000 or 65000000, it also outputs 75 MHz. Setting the frequency 55000000 outputs 50 MHz.
I read this page, but I'm missing something.

Paul

Thanks for the info. It seems that I need to condition the input a bit before giving it to the Teensy. Currently, with a square wave, 5V on the high sice, -1 on the low side, it counts far closer. My goal is only to determine what frequency band I'm on. basically, 1.8 0 2.0MHz, 7.0 - 7.MHz ... I could happily count for a millisecond and get all I need, which would be far more ideal than counting for a full second.

However, it now looks like the problem is not in the code but in the conditioning of the signal.

I'm new to Arduino, have been programming C since 1985. What I now need to do is to grab those parts of the example which are a bare minimum for counting over a short period of time.

Piece of cake!

;)

However, it now looks like the problem is not in the code but in the conditioning of the signal.
Exactly, when I had a 75mm jumper cable between pin 8 & 9, it did not work well. So I had to bent a wire for the shortest distance possible.
Mind you, Teensy 4.x pins can only handle 3V3 maximum!

Paul

Hi Dale,
I'm using a T4.1 in a frequency meter application and with decent front end signal conditioning can achieve 70MHz. In my application I use a LTC6752 comparator that is good for 280 MHz; but take care if you try this, it can introduce multiple edges at low frequencies and the manufacturer recommends increasing the hysteresis. If you are using a T4.x make sure you limit the input signal to 3.3V max. I do this by running the LTC 6752 and a few other low power parts from the 3V3 output of the T4.1. Using 5V could be bad news!

I achieved a c.70MHz
upper frequency limit with a T3.2; and had hoped the limit would increase with the faster T4.1. It didn't.

In the latest Beta install of TeensyDuino the FreqCount() examples appear to be missing; hopefully a new version is on the way.

The temperature coefficient of the T4.1 clock crystal is not that good and a compensation system is necessary to reduce this error and also the calibration error. I'm showing 21.00000 MHz +1 -0 for hours after calibrating with a 100mSec gate. This is not a problem if your objective is to find the current band you are amplifying, a 10uS period will provide sufficient resolution. (The original FreqCount() example would work down to a 1uSec gate period, a resolution of 1MHz... but it had other problems!.)

A colleague uses the T4.0 to measure the frequency of signals passing through his SWR bridge and apply appropriate band calibration. He experienced quite a lot of difficulties covering 1.8MHz to 432 MHz (using different sensor heads) but was successful in the end.

G8CDD

Hello dear.

I'm new to Teensy 4.1 programming, please tell me how to correctly in the LOOP function,
in one place to turn on the frequency measurement, and in another to turn it off ?

for example:

if (condition 1)
{
FreqCount.begin(1000); // it works
}
if (condition 2)
{
FreqCount.end(); // this does not work
}
what am I doing wrong ?

Code:
if (condition 1)
{
}
if (condition 2)
{
}

When you state FreqCount.end(); // this does not work, what exactly does not work?
I can imagine that you first need to start the counter by FreqCount.begin before you can end it [in case condition 1 is false and condition 2 is true].

Paul

Code:
if (condition 1)
{
}
if (condition 2)
{
}

When you state FreqCount.end(); // this does not work, what exactly does not work?
I can imagine that you first need to start the counter by FreqCount.begin before you can end it [in case condition 1 is false and condition 2 is true].

Paul

Hi, Paul.

when using FreqCount. end(); I get the following error ..

C:\Temp\arduino_build_411425\sketch\C5.ino.cpp.o: In function `loop':
D:\Controller\C5/C5.ino:605: undefined reference to `FreqCountClass::end()'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Hi Alex,

Allright, you ran into a compilation error.
Best is to post your complete sketch [C5.ino] so that I, and perhaps other forum members, can copy it into the Arduino IDE and help you debugging.

Paul

I thank you for your answers!
solved the problem mechanically, i.e. at the iron level,
I turn off the signal from the generator with a mechanical relay,
I could not solve this problem programmatically ...

Best is to post your complete sketch [C5.ino] so that I, and perhaps other forum members, can copy it into the Arduino IDE and help you debugging.
Code:
  if (b2_enable && (millis() - b2_timer) >= 100) // delay time
  {
    b2_timer = millis();
    b2_enable = false;
    digitalWrite (36, 1); // relay on
    FreqCount.end();    // here I need to turn off frequency measurement
  }

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back