Can Granular simulate an EH POG pedal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ_S

I was wondering if it is possible to simulate the polyphonic octave generator pedal made by the major guitar pedal manufacturer, EH. The pedal first came out around 2005, so I would assume that a Teensy 4.0 would be plenty powerful enough to replicate the effect. I have been working on a sketch that uses a pair of granular components to generate one octave up and one octave down. Using the naive approach of simply turning the granular components on (begin, setSpeed, and beginPitchshift) and playing notes through them, there is either ringing or significant distortion depending on the memory size and grain length chosen. Is there a recommended approach that would reproduce this pedal affect with more fidelity? Happy to supply code if it helps.
Thanks

The POG is believed by some to use a standard vocoder structure, but with quite a bit of secret sauce in how to separately handle transients vs harmonic content and deal with short FFT intervals, along with a heaping of filtering. We don't know for sure but I think the microPOG / nanoPOG are vocoder based, rather than granular based. The paper cited above is a good look at some techniques to achieve good pitch shifting.

Considering the DSP power (or lack thereof) of the original POG2 the designer of the algo at EHX deserves some serious applause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back