How to control routing of 1 audio signal to 12 different places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatheround

Hey everyone,
So I want to use my Teensy to control how audio gets routed to 12 different places. The audio is line-level (2Vpp max) and is a single mono signal, and it is going to 12 mono amplifier IC's - the teensy will be switching the audio off/on going to these amps.

A quick note: I did notice that a lot of amplifier IC chips have a "MUTE" or "SHUTDOWN" pin that would be perfect for interfacing with the Teensy, but unfortunately that's not what is being used here. I only have access to the audio input, so all I can do is switch the audio itself. Any recommendations on the best way to do this?

Well, I would keep the signal analog and design an analog switch bank. Or were you thinking ADC to teensy routed to serveral DACs?

Well, I would keep the signal analog and design an analog switch bank. Or were you thinking ADC to teensy routed to serveral DACs?

Thanks tschrama, no the teensy ADC or DAC isn't involved. It's just a single analog audio signal and I want to control which of many amplifiers it goes to. There are 12 amplifiers and I need to be able to do any combination of them.. and I have at least 12 digital pins available on the teensy to do the switching.

I've looked at a few analog switch IC's and it seems like they only want to pass signals between GND and Vcc. My audio signal is bipolar though.. I do see that some analog IC's can take +/- power supplies though, so maybe that's my best bet. That being said, I'd love to do this with only JLCPCB components so I can have them assemble the prototype boards.

that is a nice website with examples... You could start with something simple as this: analog switch.png

The CD4051 is probably OK if you don't need super high audio quality - the distortion is around 0.3% for a 1kHz sine.
There are better parts available for audio. Check out this informative application note.

Paul

Last edited:

I don't want a multiplexer/demultiplexer. The input isn't being routed to a single output at a time, but any combination. So I suppose I would need 12x 1:1 switches. Also can the 4051 pass a bipolar audio signal? I think it only operates in single-ended mode?

I did some experimenting with what I have in my parts bin, and it seems like two back to back MOSFETS seem to work for switching the audio signal. I don't really see any distortion either, but I'm only eyeballing it on a scope.

I've looked at a few analog switch IC's and it seems like they only want to pass signals between GND and Vcc. My audio signal is bipolar though

Dual supply analog switches for audio exist I believe - however you don't need one, you can use a
higher voltage part powered with say +/-5V rails and level shift the logic inputs using transistors or
opto couplers.

For instance an MC14067B is a 1 to 16 channel mux/demux that can tolerate upto 18V supply. A quad
opto coupler would be able to translate standard logic level to a different voltage to control it (with added
benefit of keeping digital noise away from the analog circuitry).

The downside to opto couplers is their speed, but for this application I don't think its an issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back