Teensy or Mozzi ? Don't know what to choose.

jowell88

Hi !

I'm currently building a synth with Mozzi on a Arduino Nano. The 16MHz clock speed quickly became a problem and the memory is almost full now so I can't really keep going so I decided to look at Teensy.
The boards look amazing, tiny, powerfull and not expensive. The problem is that I want to code because I want to learn coding, I don't want to use a graphical interface and I think I'm not allowed to because it's about my end school project in embedded system...

I have the idea to use Mozzi on a Teensy board but maybe I'm missing something :confused:, tell me.

Hi, are you currently using the Arduino IDE for programming the Nano with the Mozzi software? If so, you only have to install Teensyduino which is an add-on the Arduino IDE.
See this page.

Paul

Thanks Paul. It will be possible to use the objects of the teensy audio library inside the Arduino IDE ? Or is it just for compiling Arduino code on Teensy board ?

Yes, it is possible to use the objects of the Teensy audio library inside the Arduino IDE [if you installed TeensyDuino].
On the Mozzi GitHub page you can see that they already tested on a Teensy.

Paul

There is also VSCODE + PLATFORM IO which have teensy support.
It's a alternative if you want to program in a more "real" environment.
It's also faster to compile the code.

If you're writing code to synthesize or process audio, you could add it to the audio library. Here's the page with details.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_AudioNewObjects.html

The general idea is you create an update() function which receives incoming audio in 128 sample blocks (if you have inputs - pure synth objects only have outputs). Then you do whatever DSP algorithms you like, and put the data into 128 sample blocks and transmit them. The audio library delivers audio from whatever other parts of the library you've connected to block's inputs, and whatever samples you transmit get passed to the things you connected your output to.

Of course, you should ask your instructor or advisor if they will accept your project coding to this API. For academic projects, the 2 most important things are always what your instructor is willing to accept, and the deadlines!

If you're writing code to synthesize or process audio, you could add it to the audio library. Here's the page with details.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_AudioNewObjects.html

The general idea is you create an update() function which receives incoming audio in 128 sample blocks (if you have inputs - pure synth objects only have outputs). Then you do whatever DSP algorithms you like, and put the data into 128 sample blocks and transmit them. The audio library delivers audio from whatever other parts of the library you've connected to block's inputs, and whatever samples you transmit get passed to the things you connected your output to.

Of course, you should ask your instructor or advisor if they will accept your project coding to this API. For academic projects, the 2 most important things are always what your instructor is willing to accept, and the deadlines!

Interesting !

Actually I decided to keep going with Mozzi. I already got 80% of the code, don't want to start from 0 with Teensy. But next synth will be Teensy for sure.

How do you enable Mozzi compilation with Teensyduino?

Mozzi mentions you need to disable ADC and Timer libraries. How is this done? Do I need to edit H files in Teensyduino?

Thanks,
Ben

Back