Can't Install Teensyduino Linux Mint

microenh

I downloaded and installed Arduino IDE 1.8.13 (from the Arduino.cc website, not the repository) on Linux Mint 19.3. It is working fine and I have compiled lots of code for Arduino and ESP32 micro-controllers. I downloaded and updated the udev rules for Teensyduino. I downloaded and ran the Teensyduino 64-bit linux installer. It finds that the udev rules are correctly installed. It then prompts for the install location of the Arduino IDE. The Arduino IDE is installed in ~/.arduino15 (note the leading period, hidden folder). The file navigator doesn't show this folder and I can't find a way to type in a name. The installer won't continue as it doesn't see the Arduino IDE installation.

Thanks,
Mark

I tried that by creating a soft link to the .arduino15 folder. That didn't work. By clicking on the ? button in the installer, it looks like the installer is looking for a file lib/version.txt which is not in the .arduino15 folder.

I unzipped the archive I downloaded from the Arduino.cc website (arduino-1.8.13). I was able to install Teensyduino into that folder, but of course, that made no difference to my installed copy of Arduino IDE, it didn't add the Teensy boards to it.

Mark

And you can't use just that new folder?
Teensyduino needs to patch several files. The default serial monitor i.e. is just way too slow for Teensy, so it gets patched, and a few things more. Other boards will continue to work.
Your old folder is not compatible, it seems.

Frank,

That does work - Thanks.

I wonder what I did when I installed Arduino IDE that created the problem? I'm not a Linux expert.

Mark

I think I figured it out. On my Linux box, the folder that allowed me to install Teensyduino was

/opt/arduino-1.8.13

Mark

Normally the hidden .arduino15 folder is for settings and boards packages you've installed, but not the IDE software.

In other words, the .arduino15 folder is where the software stores data as you do things, but the software doesn't go there because the software isn't supposed to actually write to itself.

Maybe you somehow managed to get the IDE installed into that folder? Or maybe the IDE was actually running from some other location but things you saw at some point led you to see that .arduino15 pathname and gave you the impression that was the only folder?

Paul,

Yes, indeed that was the issue. I have successfully installed Tweensyduino in the folder /opt/arduino-1-8-13.

Mark

Back