Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Teensy 4.0 Breakout boards

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7

    Teensy 4.0 Breakout boards

    Hi,

    I saw this pop out of Pimoroni (https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/p...-vga-demo-base)

    Is there anything like this for a Teensy 4.0?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member+ mjs513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,794
    Depends on what you mean to similar to. There are several breakout boards for the T4.0 on Tindie available from what I saw.

    TallDog has a board that several of us tested: https://www.tindie.com/products/logl...ut-revision-a/

    https://www.tindie.com/products/cbur...pansion-board/

    Then there are several us who have breakouts that we designed. Do a search for Teensy 4 breakout boards and think you will see.

    For instance: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57122...0-Breakout-Kit

    https://www.tindie.com/products/arbu...-and-breakout/

  3. #3
    Senior Member PaulS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    518
    The first Google hit shows PJRC's page for a Teensy 4.0 breakout board and related information.

    Paul

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the replies. I was kind of looking more specific like the VGA and audio, though some searching has lead me to
    https://github.com/Jean-MarcHarvengt/MCUME/
    Looks pretty close to the sort of thing I was looking for, but 4.1, and is custom made. In fact, that project looks like it might be a good starting/reference point of my project.

    Wondering whether I should invest to a 4.1, as it'd give me SD card, and easier access to the USB host too (my soldering skills aren't exactly fantastic)

  5. #5
    Senior Member+ MichaelMeissner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ayer Massachussetts
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by pmprog View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was kind of looking more specific like the VGA and audio, though some searching has lead me to
    https://github.com/Jean-MarcHarvengt/MCUME/
    Looks pretty close to the sort of thing I was looking for, but 4.1, and is custom made. In fact, that project looks like it might be a good starting/reference point of my project.

    Wondering whether I should invest to a 4.1, as it'd give me SD card, and easier access to the USB host too (my soldering skills aren't exactly fantastic)
    It would be somewhat more, but you might look at protosupplies.com which offers a mostly fully soldered Teensy 4.1, includes:
    • https://protosupplies.com/product/te...-fully-loaded/
    • Soldering on an 8MB PSRAM (gives you more volatile memory that is faster than SD but can be slower than main memory);
    • Soldering on an and an 8MB flash memory chip (permanent non-volatile memory similar to a SD card); (and)
    • Soldering on the 6 pin header for the ethernet card.


    The one thing they don't solder on are headers for the USB host and the 5 pins just before the SD card giving on/off, reset, and power for the real time clock, but those are fairly simple through hole soldering (the 2 memory chips are surface mount soldering).

    If you wanted to use ethernet, they also sell the ethernet kit, but you again would need to do some light through hole soldering to set it up.

    In terms of audio the normal Teensy solution is the Teensy audio adapter that is made to be plugged above or below the Teensy. The audio adapter has the 28 pins for the Teensy 4.0. With the longer Teensy 4.1 the protosupplies.com board becomes a little problematic. Protosupplies don't supply stacking headers, so you can't mount the audio board above the Teensy. You can mount it below the Teensy, but you might not be able to access the back 20 pins in a breadboard setup. If they had provided stacking headers, then the ethernet adapter is problematic, since the 6 ethernet pins are too close to the outside pins, and the normal 2x3 cable would not fit.

    It all depends on what you want. If you want VGA explicitly then the Jean-MarcHarvengt pcb looks reasonable. If you want video output, but not necessarily VGA, there are other options.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMeissner View Post
    In terms of audio the normal Teensy solution is the Teensy audio adapter that is made to be plugged above or below the Teensy. The audio adapter has the 28 pins for the Teensy 4.0. With the longer Teensy 4.1 the protosupplies.com board becomes a little problematic. Protosupplies don't supply stacking headers, so you can't mount the audio board above the Teensy. You can mount it below the Teensy, but you might not be able to access the back 20 pins in a breadboard setup.
    I was thinking all in one board, but yeah, I forgot about the audio adapter board. I should have ordered it alongside my Teensy when I ordered that. Might go back and grab one.

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMeissner View Post
    It all depends on what you want. If you want VGA explicitly then the Jean-MarcHarvengt pcb looks reasonable. If you want video output, but not necessarily VGA, there are other options.
    Well, always thought VGA, but I guess HDMI would be better to use with a TV... FPGA4FUN has an example of 640x480 @ 60Hz using a 25MHz pixel clock, so I guess that shouldn't be outside of the Teensy's 600MHz clock, right?

    Cheers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •