Using Teensy to program Cortex M0-based periferal units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdharbert

I'm researching programming an IMU board that is run by an ARM Cortex M0. I'm trying to search for examples of a Teensy being used as the programming unit, but the results all get hijacked to other topics. I'm new to programming Cortex units outside the Teensy ecosystem, so I'm not even sure if this is how it would work.

The end goal is to potentially adjust the firmware in the below unit such that the unit will communicate directly with a wireless device. I was hoping to have a carrier chip on the Teensy to program the M0 on the IMU and then place the IMU on a carrier attached to a wireless transmitter.

I'm not sure if this is even possible, let alone within reason. Here's one of the units under consideration:

https://www.tindie.com/products/onehorse/usfsmax-module-and-carrier/

Every chip with a Cortex M0 inside uses its own method of programming memory. While the M0 might play a role in the programming, the specific programming details aren't part of the M0. Chips from different companies do use very different programming interfaces.

While Teensy might be useful for building your own programmer, as would just about any microcontroller, implementing a programmer will only be possible if you have clear documentation from the manufacturer of that chip about the protocol and other technical details. There is nothing unique about Teensy in this regard. Just because Teensy LC has a M0, and other models have M4 & M7, there are probably no common features between the NXP chip on Teensy and the Maxim chip on that motion sensor. NXP has their own unique way of memory programming and Maxim has their own way. These companies are competitors. Even though they license the same M0 core from ARM, everything else about these chips and especially the non-volatile memory is going to be completely different.

Thanks!
Yes. This is a Teensy-as-programmer use case.
Thanks for the info regarding manufacturer, I had thus far neglected that.

Another candidate was the BNO085. A quick check didn't reveal who the M0 manufacturer on that unit is. However, the docs for this part state 'SH-2' firmware and there are builds it on github. However, I have the same problem: I know nothing about programming the units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back