Teensy 3.5/4.1 Standalone Synthesizer - Trying Modular DYI approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthj

Hello Folks, its been a while.
I just wanted to share! :D
I am finalizing my self-build standalone teensy 3.5 synth utilizing the audio library.
So thanks for this awesome library, I had some trouble, like a proper DYI project should have, but in the end everything went well and i appreciate the help and documentation.

What I've done:
Get a cheap old casio for 5 quit off ebay. strip the keybed.
Use Teensy 35 and Audio-Shield.
Use 2 MCP23017 to expand digital i/o.
Use 4 74HC4051 Muxes to expand analog ins.
Use 74HC14 and a 6n138 for MIDI IN/THRU/OUT circuit.

Create a 3 Oscillator + noise audio stream with multiple modulation capabilities:
teensy_audiotool.PNG

Monophonic.
Including volume ADSR, pitch and filter modulation with optional second modulation ADSR.
3 LFO for modulation (pitch, filter, VCA).
Ring modulator.
Octave switch (individual octaves available for 2nd and 3rd oscillator).
Detune.
Portamento.
Reverb and Delay FX section.
Implemented MIDI keyboard output / external MIDI controllability (eg. for sequencer).
Tempo Tap/ Sync to MIDI.

For all of this i designed PCBs (unfortunately in the process my pc crashed. I'm now in revision/recreation process) and the Case (frickin pain :D, to be revised too).
Revision should hold a polyphonic version and a korg minilogue - like oscillsocope as well because i think its hot and the T41 can handle it :). MCP23017 get updated to the SPI versions since i was getting quite a lot of latency with the i2c. I will also shift some of the analog inputs to some MCP3008s also SPI.

When revising the whole thing i am trying to get the design modular. So when using my pcbs one can hook up all of the stuff i did (mixer / ADSR / FX sections etc.) but could also get a smaller version (eg without keys, or without FX). And also reuse analog inputs to do other things than what i intended.

However, here it is dear community!
What i want to say is: if your interested in something like this -> i am revising everything and after proper BOM calculation and reordering of a couple of PCBs i am willing to build a couple of em and make them available.
I will also put the stuff up on my git after redoing it. So youre welcome to try it yourself and develop / get in touch if you're trying something similar and have/need some experience!
In any case i am happy as hell and it turned out better than i expected :D

DSC06964-min.jpgDSC06968-min.jpgDSC06969-min.jpgDSC06967-min.jpgphoto_2021-02-20_12-31-56.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back