F32 Audio Spectrum/Waterfall guidance - AudioAnalyzeFFT1024_F32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I have downloaded Bob Larkins latest F32 open - audio lib. I'm trying to produce a basic audio spectrum for my my project. I'm using a T4.1 - AudioControlSGTL5000 and ILI9341 display.
My AudioSettings_F32 audio_settings(sample_rate_Hz, audio_block_samples); sample_rate_Hz = 48000.0f; audio_block_samples = 32;. There is a AudioAnalyzeFFT1024_F32 example
but I'm struggling to understand or how to produce a basic audio spectrum/ waterfall to display half or all the spectrum. Any advice/Idea's how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Clarkie1234

The way I'd do this is populate a lookup table with RGB values indexed by decibel. Then run through the
FFT bins converting the value to decibels, lookup the pixel colour and write that to the display. Most TFTs
support hardware scroll I believe, so then you just scroll up one pixel ready for the next fft.

If you want a line plot then I'd have a copy of the previous spectrum to hand in order to erase the current line
before plotting the new line - this avoids having to blank the entire plot for each new FFT.

Hi - You might take a look at the radio project
https://groups.io/g/keithsdr/
Mike and Keith are working on a display/waterfall using the F32 floating point FFT with T4.1. There are several topics on this that are current. You may need to join the group to read the messages.

Also, I would suggest using standard 128 size blocks.

Good luck, Bob

Hi Bob

Thank's for the reply.

Yes I'm a member on keithsdr i.o groups - I wasn't sure if they had a F32 spectrum/scope running I will check the latest info

Many Thanks

Clarkie1234

Hi - You might take a look at the radio project
https://groups.io/g/keithsdr/
Mike and Keith are working on a display/waterfall using the F32 floating point FFT with T4.1. There are several topics on this that are current. You may need to join the group to read the messages.

Also, I would suggest using standard 128 size blocks.

Good luck, Bob

@Clarkie1234
I sent you a very brief reply to your PM suggesting we correspond via email. I have a working 44.1kHz wide spectrum display for my audioSDR that works with Teensy 4.0/4.1, but I haven't even tried to put together a waterfall because it just seems too much for a simple SPI connected display without a scrolling frame buffer (ie the ILI9341) :)

Derek

@MarkT
I'd be interested to know how (and try) to do it. DMA? Certainly I can see a processor based frame buffer, but just writing a 256x(say)80 screen region pixel by pixel with 16 bit pixels and SPI speed seems to be unrealistic...
Derek

No, I said _without scrolling_ - just output line by line (its quite so nice, but its usable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back