Teensy Prop Shield Max Current for LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what how much current the LED driver pins on the prop shield can handle? I'd like to plug in the DotStar LED strip I have but I'm afraid of frying the board with it's current draw (72 LED's, it pulls around 4 amps with all LED's white and at full brightness). I know I can reduce that draw by lowering the brightness but I just wanted a good ballpark number to look out for so I don't damage the board or anything else connected.

Generally, for strips having more than 3 DotStar LEDs, you want to power that strip externally. You don't want the propshield board [or the Teensy Vin pin] to supply significant current to DotStar strips. See this page for more info how to power a strip externally.

By the way, the "LED driver pins" you are referring to are only driving the digital LED_CLK & LED_DAT signals to the first DotStar in the strip. There is not such a thing as a "LED driver pin" for the +5V power. See the schematic below:

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Paul

Generally, for strips having more than 3 DotStar LEDs, you want to power that strip externally. You don't want the propshield board [or the Teensy Vin pin] to supply significant current to DotStar strips. See this page for more info how to power a strip externally.

By the way, the "LED driver pins" you are referring to are only driving the digital LED_CLK & LED_DAT signals to the first DotStar in the strip. There is not such a thing as a "LED driver pin" for the +5V power. See the schematic below:

View attachment 23840

Regards,
Paul

Ok so it's meant to be a passthrough for Vcc/Gnd if you wanted to say daisy chain a couple of these. Gotcha. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back