Pot Jumpin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

newman

Hi there -
I am using a Teensy 4.1 board with some 100k linear potentiometers. I'm currently experimenting with the CCPotentiometer Class in the Control_Surface library, but I've found this issue to come up with the USB_MIDI AnalogControlChange example included with Teensyduino 1.53...
I'm getting major jumps in the value that is being read. It seems like the speed that I turn the potentiometer has an impact on the value. I have tried scaling the values using the explanation in CCPotentiometer-Map, but it's not quite cutting it.
Can anyone help me to understand what is going on here and how I might fix it?
Thanks

Could this just be a scratchy pot? This can be cured with a small capacitor from the wiper to ground, 100nF or similar.

100k is a bit high for a pot, more likely to pick up noise than ones of 5k or 10k value.

100k is a bit high for a pot, more likely to pick up noise than ones of 5k or 10k value.

That's interesting. I had tried a couple of 100k and a couple of 1m pots, thinking that a voltage divider is a voltage divider.. switching to a 5k pot worked perfectly well. Any idea why this is?

Any idea why this is?

Lower source impedance allows for the voltage sampling capacitor inside the chip to charge (or discharge) to the right voltage during the limited time for sampling, and it also helps overcome small errors due to "charge injection" through unintended capacitive coupling inside the chip to other signals.

thinking that a voltage divider is a voltage divider

Indeed it is when the voltage measurement is an impedance much higher than the impedance of the circuit. Most digital multimeters are 10M resistance load to the circuit they're measuring. But the ADC input on Teensy and most other microcontrollers isn't such a high impedance. It's a capacitor and a transistor which turns on for a brief time to (hopefully) let the capacitor charge to the measured voltage.

The main issue with high impedance inputs is noise coupling to it from nearby signals - logic signals switch so fast that
even tiny amounts of stray capacitance will induce significant currents.

For instance a logic trace at 3.3V switching in 2ns is slewing at 3.3 / 2x10^-9 = 1.65 GV/s -- yes, gigavolts per
second...

A tiny 0.1pF stray capacitance will couple 165µA from that trace while its switching(*), and into a 100k circuit 165µA
produces a voltage error of 16.5V (although only for the duration of the switching, and actually its limited to 3.3V
by the voltage step).

So you can see that its very easy to get noise into a high impedance circuit from nearby high speed logic.

With long cables you get capacitive coupling to nearby cabling (such as the mains supply), which can also
induce noise (especially transients from switching events on the mains circuit).

Using lower impedances becomes less sensitive to noise through capacitive coupling, and a simple way
is to add a capacitor which provides a direct path to ground for coupled noise.

There are other sorts of interference such as magnetic induction which can't be eliminated by lowering
the impedance, but that's only a problem near transformers or if there's high current wiring nearby.

(*) equation of capacitor: C dV = I dt, so I = C dV/dt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back