Maximum USB 5V current drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

I’m making a Teensy 4.1 board that utilises a Noritake CU20029-UW1J VFD. It’s a 5V part, worst case drain 410 mA, plus a Teensy and other small parts will take the drain to a little bit above the 500mA USB 2.0 limit. No problem to power it all with 5V directly after it’s coded but USB only power is quick and convenient during coding rather than attaching and remembering to switch two supplies ... and trying to cut the 5V board link that’s under the Teensy is a hassle when it’s on the back you’ve already soldered the thing down using about 20 pins too :).

Then I remembered that the hub on my bench is USB 3.0. I think that’s good for 900 mA at minimum? I’m guessing it’s not a great idea to power a board from the Teensy micro USB socket and Vin link at 500 mA plus though? So what do people here do for medium drain boards? I’ve got some USB B sockets sitting here, is it best to add that to the board and use a decent sized USB cable to connect to the larger socket, supplying the Teensy Vin with 5V from there? It would be a bit more robust anyway for a larger board than the flaky micro USB approach? Shame the Teensy doesn’t have those USB data lines easily accessible, looks as if removing the micro USB socket would not be wise as an elective move, I’d need to use the end of a micro USB cable to make the data connections I guess.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back