Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: How to add extra SerialUSB to Teensy4.1

How to add extra SerialUSB to Teensy4.1

Hi,

I have tried expanding on TRIPLE SERIAL in the hope of creating HEPTA_SERIAL, which will give me Serial, plus SerialUSB1..6.

I have editied and created in some cases:

yield.cpp
    serialEventUSB3.cpp
    serialEventUSB4.cpp
    serialEventUSB5.cpp
    serialEventUSB6.cpp
    core_pins.h
    usb.c
    usb_serial.h
    usb_inst.cpp
    usb_desc.h
    usb_desc.c
    EventResponder.cpp
    usb_serial4.cpp
    usb_serial5.cpp
    usb_serial6.cpp
    usb_serial7.cpp

boards.txt
    keywords.txt

There is a lot of stuff here, so I don't want to blindly post it.

It all compiles, but only SerialUSB1 works, the others do not. If I specify TRIPLE_SERIAL, then SerialUSB1 and 2 are OK. Just my implementation breaks things. I do get all of the ports enumerating on both a rasp pi, and a mac, just no data passes through. My simple test just sends a string every second to the SerialUSBn ports.

So first off, is what I am attempting OK?

If I'm on the right track, have I missed a file in the edits?

I can of course post all of my files if it's not really obvious where my issue lies.

Thanks,

Andy

Sorry, this is probably a question that maybe only Paul can answer,

But my gut tells me that you may not be able to do this.
    That is the IMXRT1060RM section 42.2.1 mentions: Up to 8 bidirectional endpoints per each of the two USB controllers.

And I believe each USB Serial requires 2 end points and there is 1 extra one used. Not sure if one could disable that other end point.
    But if you look for example at the Triple Serial:
    It is using up to ENDPOINT7...

So again I could be wrong, and maybe one could fudge a 4th Serial... But I don't think you could go beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtE View Post
    Sorry, this is probably a question that maybe only Paul can answer,

But my gut tells me that you may not be able to do this.
    That is the IMXRT1060RM section 42.2.1 mentions: Up to 8 bidirectional endpoints per each of the two USB controllers.

And I believe each USB Serial requires 2 end points and there is 1 extra one used. Not sure if one could disable that other end point.
    But if you look for example at the Triple Serial:
    It is using up to ENDPOINT7...

So again I could be wrong, and maybe one could fudge a 4th Serial... But I don't think you could go beyond that.
    Oh bugger. Looks like I need to come up with another plan. Lets see what Paul can add. Thanks.

Kurt is right. The Teensy 4.x hardware simply does not support enough endpoints to add a 4th CDC serial.

But it could be done on Teensy 3.x. Each CDC serial needs 2 endpoints (1 bidirectional data, 1 unidirectional status). The USB device hardware on Teensy 3.x can implement up to 16 endpoints and only endpoint 0 is reserved.

Well one off the wall thought is to add a UART to USB converter and use one of the hardware serial ports. In theory, something like:

Note, I haven't used these boards. The low end boards don't have flow control options.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Kurt is right. The Teensy 4.x hardware simply does not support enough endpoints to add a 4th CDC serial.

But it could be done on Teensy 3.x. Each CDC serial needs 2 endpoints (1 bidirectional data, 1 unidirectional status). The USB device hardware on Teensy 3.x can implement up to 16 endpoints and only endpoint 0 is reserved.
    Thanks Paul. Since it's clear my initial plan won't work, I can look at alternatives. Combining the 4 serial port data streams on the USB host and using one SerialUSB on the teensy and demuxing them is an option.

Thanks again.

...Andy

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMeissner View Post
    Well one off the wall thought is to add a UART to USB converter and use one of the hardware serial ports. In theory, something like:

Note, I haven't used these boards. The low end boards don't have flow control options.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but in this case I only have on e USB port and don't want to add a hub into the design. The data is packeted, so I can implement a mux/demux to combine the data into one USB stream.

Thanks.