Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Problems with bCNC and brglHAL on Teensy 4.1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2

    Problems with bCNC and brglHAL on Teensy 4.1

    My setup is: RPi 3B+ and Teensy 4.1. I have loaded grblHAL on the Teensy and bCNC on the RPi. The moment I start bCNC it start running something and I can't do nothing to stop it, as can be seen in the video. I have no idea where to look for the problem.
    I have my limit switches as NO but my E-Stop and door switch as NC. As far as I know I don't get and alarm because of the switches, but I may be wrong and that that is the problem.

    https://youtu.be/ohqlBn_wZi8

    BTW, how do you edit the thread name? I switched the 'g' and the 'b' in grblHAL in the headline.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    317
    Hi, sorry I missed this earlier. bCNC on a RPi works well with grblHAL though you should have the latest bCNC version as there have been some fixes along the way. I've tested on a RPi3 and RPi4.

    Part of the problem may stem from the inputs are all set up as NC by default. That is all the limit switches, cycle start, feed hold, reset/halt/estop, door and probe. Use a terminal app to connect to grblHAL and try setting $14 to 78 ($14=78). If you have a PC, you can more easily configure it using ioSender. If you have actual switches on the pins, set the $14 entries to reflect them.

    You may know this already but some resources. First run wiki entry. Naked Teensy Party

    If it still doesn't work, could you post the results of $$ sent to grblHAL?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the reply, Phil. I didn't know about the $14=78, I did know about $14=7 but didn't realize I could/should make it 78.

    On another note. After not finding on line a solution I did what I should have done from the beginning. I disconnected everything. I unplugged the Teensy from it's breakout board and connected it to the RPi and it no more unusual error. I then started to connect each wire one by one and check if it works before continuing with the next wire. When I got to the last wire to connect, the spindle enabled wire, I realized that, OMG, in my original connection I had it connected to the 3.3v pin, which is right next to it. Now everything works fine.

    I will try the $14=78 anyway since I don't want to change all my limit switches to NC.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    317
    By the way, the latest main repository version in conjunction with ioSender has a new grbl settings report. It is far superior to the old bit-field approach and organizes the settings by area rather than the seemingly random way 8-bit grbl does and gets rid of the need to crack/construct bit fields. It still preserves backwards compatibility but makes it easier for a human to use them. Here's a snapshot of the new interface in ioSender. I hope bCNC, UGS and others adopt this approach.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setting_new.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	23960

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •